unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Some (little) problems about contributing to the translation of guix-manual
@ 2020-10-26 19:07 Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2020-10-26 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guix!

Trying to contribute to the French translation for guix-manual, I encounter some problems.

Everything I tried to translate was mostly done under Guix System with Gtranslator. A little bit with poedit too, but... when I go under debian (dual-boot), I find that translations done under Guix System are apparently not seen, for example :

With Guix System : $ msgfmt -cv guix-manual-1.2.0-pre2.fr.po
                   8471 messages traduits, 813 traductions approximatives, 602 messages non traduits.

With debian :      $ msgfmt -cv guix-manual-1.2.0-pre2.fr.po
                   8459 messages traduits, 825 traductions approximatives, 602 messages non traduits.

Du coup, I don't know if the 12 translated messages and the 12 approximate translations set have been taken into account or not. But I think not... From time to time, I have the impression to redo some translations/modifications.

The first time I tried poedit under Guix System, I thought I saw a stealthy message like "translation error" or something like that. The following times, this message didn't appear anymore.

Could it be a localization problem? In order to test, I created /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES which currently contains en_en.msg, messages.mo, my_file.po and test.mo (These files come from gtranslator and poedit, in which I have previously entered the path to /LC_MESSAGES.

Then I searched in the Guix System tree if I could find a location corresponding to the locales, but I couldn't find anything like that.

Otherwise, I encountered a setback due to my inexperience with the
translator roster. I hadn't gone through the whole procedure and only
yesterday I received the approval from the FSF: "Hubert Lombard has
been successfully subscribed to the Translators mailing list", (my
registration details having remained cached for about 2 or 3 weeks, the
validation worked). It was the robot that asked me to satisfy this
requirement. But I was a bit lost because I know that Guix does not
require copyright. So I sent a mail to the french translation team
manager and he answered me asking me details about guix, guix-packages
and guix-manual. I answered him that I was only working on guix-manual,
the translator of the other 2 being already assigned to them.

His réponse : "Ok, I will register you without reservation"

Today I tried again to send the .po file on which I made some progress, but it was rejected: "According to my notes, Hubert Lombard is not a member of the French team."

Well, I think it's just a matter of time ;-) No other errors were mentioned. There is a message that informs me about what still needs to be translated, but it doesn't look like an injunction, just an information > 8534 translated messages, 750 fuzzy translations, 602 untranslated messages.

I'm a bit nervous, knowing that 1.2.0 is about to be released, I was wondering if I would have time to send my version before the deadline. I'm currently at over 86%.

If you have any comments, please let me know.

Wishing you a good evening,

Friendly,

--
Hubert