unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
@ 2020-10-08 11:23 Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
  2020-10-08 12:26 ` Julien Lepiller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2020-10-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guixers!

Since i'm not yet a proper contributor to the project but a deep
admirer of this inestimable initiative,i'm very glad to have prepared a
presentation for the Download Innovation Festival 2020, showing an
overview of the Guix Habitat, by focusing on a DevOps point of view,
where Guix brings harmony into platforms with unprecedented levels of
security and flexibility, giving a cozy place to source code :) !

If someone would like to check it out and add any
suggestion or any detail that i've missed out i would be really happy
:)

It might be an interesting video also for newcomers around here!
I also want to highlight that software and content used were libre or
open source. If you would like the ODP copy of the presentation, i will
add it :) !
This presentation was made in English, but in the feature i
would like to propose also Italian or Spanish material, so as to widen
the Audience :]

Here you can find the link of the presentation:
https://youtu.be/b8W7H0ebeQk

Have a nice Happy Hacking day!
Thank to everybody for this great project and cool guix family! 
Matias


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
  2020-10-08 11:23 Guix: The Platform Harmonizer Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
@ 2020-10-08 12:26 ` Julien Lepiller
  2020-10-09  9:45   ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
  2020-10-21 22:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-10-08 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli

Thank you for this presentation, it's really great!

There are some minor points that could be improved. In the beginning, you give a link to the documentation. I would rather give a link to the devel version.
Guix has no meaning, it's pronounced as geeks, but that's not the meaning (it's actually a contraction of guile and nix).

The daemon is not written in guile (though that's something we'd like to have), but in C++. The build side (the isolated bit) is indeed a guile process.

MES stands for Maxwell Equations of *Software* :). Mes is actually way bigger than 400 bytes. You're refering to the stage0 project I think.

I'm glad you're referencing guix home manager (I'm the author :)). It's somewhat separate from user services, though I'd like to have that too. I don't really see a need for that yet for myself, so it might not happen in the near future. We'll see!

Thanks again for tharing this, your enthusiasm is really visible, which makes me very happy :D


Le 8 octobre 2020 07:23:12 GMT-04:00, Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net> a écrit :
>Hello Guixers!
>
>Since i'm not yet a proper contributor to the project but a deep
>admirer of this inestimable initiative,i'm very glad to have prepared a
>presentation for the Download Innovation Festival 2020, showing an
>overview of the Guix Habitat, by focusing on a DevOps point of view,
>where Guix brings harmony into platforms with unprecedented levels of
>security and flexibility, giving a cozy place to source code :) !
>
>If someone would like to check it out and add any
>suggestion or any detail that i've missed out i would be really happy
>:)
>
>It might be an interesting video also for newcomers around here!
>I also want to highlight that software and content used were libre or
>open source. If you would like the ODP copy of the presentation, i will
>add it :) !
>This presentation was made in English, but in the feature i
>would like to propose also Italian or Spanish material, so as to widen
>the Audience :]
>
>Here you can find the link of the presentation:
>https://youtu.be/b8W7H0ebeQk
>
>Have a nice Happy Hacking day!
>Thank to everybody for this great project and cool guix family! 
>Matias

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
  2020-10-08 12:26 ` Julien Lepiller
@ 2020-10-09  9:45   ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
  2020-10-21 22:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2020-10-09  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 08:26:07 -0400
Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Thank you for this presentation, it's really great!

Thank you very much! Presentation and documentation is something that
i'm trying to cultivate.

> There are some minor points that could be improved. In the beginning,
> you give a link to the documentation. I would rather give a link to
> the devel version. Guix has no meaning, it's pronounced as geeks, but
> that's not the meaning (it's actually a contraction of guile and nix).

Oh! That would've been very marvellous though :D

> The daemon is not written in guile (though that's something we'd like
> to have), but in C++. The build side (the isolated bit) is indeed a
> guile process.
> 
> MES stands for Maxwell Equations of *Software* :). Mes is actually
> way bigger than 400 bytes. You're refering to the stage0 project I
> think.

Ah! Apparently i've set my time-machine in the future ^^

> I'm glad you're referencing guix home manager (I'm the author :)).
> It's somewhat separate from user services, though I'd like to have
> that too. I don't really see a need for that yet for myself, so it
> might not happen in the near future. We'll see!

Wow! That's a very cool project! I think it will be essential for
navigating users through essential needs (backup, storing passwords)
which usually (me included :p) overlook.

 
> Thanks again for tharing this, your enthusiasm is really visible,
> which makes me very happy :D

It was really thrilling to do a presentation on Guix! I hope i'll be
able to bring other contributions progressively!

Have a nice Guix day!
Matias


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
  2020-10-08 12:26 ` Julien Lepiller
  2020-10-09  9:45   ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
@ 2020-10-21 22:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
  2020-10-24  9:50     ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-21 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Matias,  :-)

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> Thank you for this presentation, it's really great!

+1, a refreshing perspective!

Thanks,
Ludo’.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
  2020-10-21 22:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2020-10-24  9:50     ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2020-10-24  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:10:45 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Matias,  :-)
> 
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
> 
> > Thank you for this presentation, it's really great!
> 
> +1, a refreshing perspective!
> 
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Thank you very much!
It was really delightful to do this presentation.

Matias


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2020-10-24  9:52 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-10-08 11:23 Guix: The Platform Harmonizer Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
2020-10-08 12:26 ` Julien Lepiller
2020-10-09  9:45   ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
2020-10-21 22:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
2020-10-24  9:50     ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli

unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix-user/0 guix-user/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 guix-user guix-user/ https://yhetil.org/guix-user \
		help-guix@gnu.org
	public-inbox-index guix-user

Example config snippet for mirrors.
Newsgroups are available over NNTP:
	nntp://news.yhetil.org/yhetil.gnu.guix.user
	nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.user


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git