unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net>
To: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Guix: The Platform Harmonizer
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 11:45:00 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 08:26:07 -0400
Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Thank you for this presentation, it's really great!

Thank you very much! Presentation and documentation is something that
i'm trying to cultivate.

> There are some minor points that could be improved. In the beginning,
> you give a link to the documentation. I would rather give a link to
> the devel version. Guix has no meaning, it's pronounced as geeks, but
> that's not the meaning (it's actually a contraction of guile and nix).

Oh! That would've been very marvellous though :D

> The daemon is not written in guile (though that's something we'd like
> to have), but in C++. The build side (the isolated bit) is indeed a
> guile process.
>
> MES stands for Maxwell Equations of *Software* :). Mes is actually
> way bigger than 400 bytes. You're refering to the stage0 project I
> think.

Ah! Apparently i've set my time-machine in the future ^^

> I'm glad you're referencing guix home manager (I'm the author :)).
> It's somewhat separate from user services, though I'd like to have
> that too. I don't really see a need for that yet for myself, so it
> might not happen in the near future. We'll see!

Wow! That's a very cool project! I think it will be essential for
navigating users through essential needs (backup, storing passwords)
which usually (me included :p) overlook.

> Thanks again for tharing this, your enthusiasm is really visible,
> which makes me very happy :D

It was really thrilling to do a presentation on Guix! I hope i'll be
able to bring other contributions progressively!

Have a nice Guix day!
Matias