unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* how to define inputs for python packages
@ 2020-09-28  6:05 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-09-28  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

I'm a little confused about definition of inputs for a python based
package.

I had defined a package for a python library that I wrote, defining the
dependencies as `inputs`, package builds successfully, and all my tests
will be passed.

but when I try to import this library to another program, I receive
various errors about missing dependencies of the library. (the ones
that I defined as `inputs` for the library).

is there any rule that I missed to choose a dependency as an `input` or
as a `propageted-input` one?

Regards,
Reza

--
Reza Alizadeh Majd
PantherX Team

* Re: how to define inputs for python packages
@ 2020-09-28  8:28 ` Wiktor Żelazny
From: Wiktor Żelazny @ 2020-09-28  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 09:35:59AM +0330, Reza Alizadeh Majd wrote:

> is there any rule that I missed to choose a dependency as an `input` or
> as a `propageted-input` one?

Hi,

I’d say that you always need to declare `python-*` dependencies as
`propagated-inputs`, unless it’s something required for building and
testing the package, exclusively, in which case the package in question
goes to `native-inputs`.

As an aside, it’s the same for `r-*` packages.

WŻ

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to define inputs for python packages
@ 2020-09-28 18:27 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2020-09-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd, help-guix

Am 28.09.20 um 08:05 schrieb Reza Alizadeh Majd:
> is there any rule that I missed to choose a dependency as an `input` or
> as a `propageted-input` one?

This is described in the manual:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Python-Modules.html#Specifying-Dependencies

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: how to define inputs for python packages
@ 2020-09-29  9:02   ` Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2020-09-29  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 20:27:57 +0200
Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Am 28.09.20 um 08:05 schrieb Reza Alizadeh Majd:
> > is there any rule that I missed to choose a dependency as an
> > `input` or as a `propageted-input` one?
>
> This is described in the manual:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Python-Modules.html#Specifying-Dependencies

Thanks, that was so helpful.