unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix not seeing my Ethernet card
@ 2020-09-18  8:18 Barnabás Béres
From: Barnabás Béres @ 2020-09-18  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,
In the past I have used Guix in virtualbox and I wanted to install it on my laptop as the main operating system. I booted into the live environment but it didn’t see my Ethernet device (it works under trisquel Linux).
Can you please help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Barnabas Beres

* Re: Guix not seeing my Ethernet card
@ 2020-09-18 20:01 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-09-18 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barnabás Béres; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:18:48 +0200
Barnabás Béres <beresbarnus03@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> In the past I have used Guix in virtualbox and I wanted to install it
> on my laptop as the main operating system. I booted into the live
> environment but it didn’t see my Ethernet device (it works under
> trisquel Linux). Can you please help me to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Barnabas Beres

What is the specific hardware you are using?
Also, could you copy the output of dmesg? Or whatever other logs you
might have that are relevant.
Like, does the device show up in lsusb/lspci/lshw?

I'm just guessing, but it could be udev related. I've been having some
issues with my Wacom tablet that were caused by that. (haven't fixed it
yet. *sadface*)

* Re: Guix not seeing my Ethernet card
@ 2020-09-19  6:10   ` Barnabás Béres
From: Barnabás Béres @ 2020-09-19  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: help-guix

Hi raingloom,
Thanks for your reply. I'm having a Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast
Ethernet card which is using the r8169 driver under tisqurell linux. It
show up under lshw and lspci Dmesg shows things  like that:

[    1.019467] libphy: r8169: probed
[    1.019472] r8169 0000:07:00.0: realtek.ko not loaded, maybe it
needs to be added to initramfs?
[    1.073016] r8169: probe of 0000:07:00.0 failed with error -49

raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. szept. 18., P,
22:24):

@ 2020-09-19  8:06     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-19  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barnabás Béres; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 08:10:24AM +0200, Barnabás Béres wrote:
> [    1.019472] r8169 0000:07:00.0: realtek.ko not loaded, maybe it
> needs to be added to initramfs?

that rings a bell! I do have the line
  ;; Add kernel module for Symbios Logic SAS1068E
  (initrd-modules (append (list "mptsas")
                          %base-initrd-modules))
in one of my configurations.

So maybe you can copy this line and replace "mptsas" by "realtek".

Andreas

* Re: Guix not seeing my Ethernet card
@ 2020-09-19 10:07       ` Barnabás Béres
From: Barnabás Béres @ 2020-09-19 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks Andreas, but how can I add this on the LiveUSB?

@ 2020-09-19 10:33         ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-19 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barnabás Béres; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:07:24PM +0200, Barnabás Béres wrote:
> Thanks Andreas, but how can I add this on the LiveUSB?

I suppose you could follow the advice here:
   https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Building-the-Installation-Image.html
and build a custom installation image with this module. But it
requires that you already have a running Guix installation somewhere
(which could be a binary installation on top of another distro).

Otherwise I have no further ideas, maybe someone else can chime in.

Andreas

* Re: Guix not seeing my Ethernet card
@ 2020-09-19 11:07           ` Barnabás Béres
From: Barnabás Béres @ 2020-09-19 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

I built the image but it did work I had the same problem. Than I tried with the development snapshot, and I saw that it bringed up my ethernet card but it was not able to finish booting into the tty. So I think it is a kernel related issue.