* Searxes in Icecat
@ 2020-09-09 17:05 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-09 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

since a recent update to icecat-68.12.0-guix0-preview1 (I do not know
from which version), the "Searxes Third Party Request Blocker" add-on
is mentioned as enabled, but does not seem to work any more:
There is no icon in the status bar to enable or disable third-party requests,
and the pages I am visiting have filled up with ads. Has anyone else had
this experience? Is there a setting I could change to make it work again?

I now also installed mublock origin, which seems to work and sort of solves
my practical problem; but I really liked searxes.

Andreas

* Re: Searxes in Icecat
@ 2020-09-18  7:02 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2020-09-18  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Andreas,

I'm not subscribed to help-guix, so I saw this only by chance.
If you had filed a bug report, I would have seen it sooner.

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> since a recent update to icecat-68.12.0-guix0-preview1 (I do not know
> from which version), the "Searxes Third Party Request Blocker" add-on
> is mentioned as enabled, but does not seem to work any more:
> There is no icon in the status bar to enable or disable third-party requests,
> and the pages I am visiting have filled up with ads. Has anyone else had
> this experience? Is there a setting I could change to make it work again?

See <https://bugs.gnu.org/43487> for a description of the problem, and
how to get the bundled extensions working again at the cost of resetting
your preferences and addons to their defaults.  A proper fix will
require some coding that has not yet been done.

      Regards,
        Mark