unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Eog not starting
@ 2020-09-01  9:51 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

when trying to run eog, I get the following message:
(eog:4813): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 11:49:04.247: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.thumbnailers' is not installed
Trace/breakpoint trap

Before filing a bug, I would like to ask whether I simply need to remove
some gnome state files? I think I already deleted the obvious files, but
may have overlooked something.

Andreas

PS: In the meantime, I discovered viewnior, which also does the job.

* Re: Eog not starting
@ 2020-09-02 16:24 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-09-02 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 11:51:07 +0200
Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when trying to run eog, I get the following message:
> (eog:4813): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 11:49:04.247: Settings schema
> 'org.gnome.desktop.thumbnailers' is not installed Trace/breakpoint
> trap

You need to install gsettings-desktop-schemas.
This should probably be documented somewhere...

@ 2020-09-02 16:58   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 06:24:53PM +0200, raingloom wrote:
> You need to install gsettings-desktop-schemas.
> This should probably be documented somewhere...

great, thanks a lot, this solved the problem.

So strictly speaking, gsettings-desktop-schemas should be a propagated
input of eog, and probably all other gnome packages? Compared to other
distros, this looks like a serious usability problem to me (and in a
sense, we are not tracking dependencies correctly).

Andreas

* Re: Eog not starting
@ 2020-09-02 17:26     ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-09-02 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Hi there,

I’ve run into this too, thanks for the tip!

Instead of propagating the input, can we use wrap-program to wrap gnome programs with the right packages?

- John