unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* usage of guix import / adding a package
@ 2020-07-16 22:10 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-07-16 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix Users!

I read on
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html:

"The guix import command is useful for people who would like to add a
package to the distribution with as little work as possible—a legitimate
demand. The command knows of a few repositories from which it can
“import” package metadata. The result is a package definition, or a
template thereof, in the format we know (see Defining Packages)."

I've recently tried this, for example for MyPy:

~~~~
guix import pypi -r mypy
~~~~

This will result in Guile code printed to my terminal. However, I do not
understand how to make use of that code. I do not understand how I can
load it. For example I tried using the -l argument with guix environment:

~~~~
guix import pypi -r mypy > additional_file.scm
guix environment --pure --load=additional_file.scm --ad-hoc python@3.8.2
/home/user/dev/Python/additional_file.scm:2:2: error: package: unbound variable
hint: Did you forget `(use-modules (guix packages))'?
~~~~

So that seems to be the wrong way of trying to make use of it.

Do I need to provide a patch to the project of the Guix package manager
to add this to Guix packages in general and then be able to use it in my
local setup?

I do not find the info, how I can now use MyPy inside an environment or
add it to the available packages on any of the following pages:

-
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Python-Modules.html#Python-Modules

- https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html

While https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
makes me think, that perhaps I need to submit it as patch to be able to
use MyPy.

If so, how would I test, whether guix import did its thing correctly? I
could try running MyPy in an environment, but for that I would have to
somehow make use of what guix import gives me, before submitting a patch.

Also, if I need to submit a patch adding the guix import output
somewhere, is there a guide on how to create such a patch for the Guix
project?

Regards,
Zelphir

--