unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* error setting console font in system.scm
@ 2020-06-13 13:53 Fulbert
From: Fulbert @ 2020-06-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

  Hi Guixers,

  (define myself (guix-noob-user (not (programmer))))

  Trying to change console font with the following in "services" section
of my system configuration file :

----
…
  (services (append (list
        …
        (service console-font-service-type
          `(("tty3" . ,(file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n"))))
      ) %desktop-services))
…
----

which results in the following error when reconfiguring the system :

----
$ sudo guix system --dry-run reconfigure /etc/config.scm
guix system: error: service 'console-font-tty3' provided more than once
----

  I probably missunderstand something and/or ill-format the
configuration…?… Help appreciated.

  Below is the related [(guix) Base services] Texinfo section.

----
--scheme Variable: console-font-service-type
    Install the given fonts on the specified ttys (fonts are per
    virtual console on the kernel Linux).  The value of this service is
    a list of tty/font pairs.  The font can be the name of a font
    provided by the ‘kbd’ package or any valid argument to ‘setfont’,
    as in this example:
      `(("tty1" . "LatGrkCyr-8x16")
        ("tty2" . ,(file-append
                      font-tamzen
                      "/share/kbd/consolefonts/TamzenForPowerline10x20.psf"))
        ("tty3" . ,(file-append
                      font-terminus
                      "/share/consolefonts/ter-132n"))) ; for HDPI
----

[-- Attachment #2: guix-help-1.html --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1495 bytes --]

Hi Guixers,

(define myself (guix-noob-user (not (programmer))))

Trying to change console font with the following in "services" section of my sys
tem configuration file :

…
  (services (append (list
        …
        (service console-font-service-type
          `(("tty3" . ,(file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n"
))))
      ) %desktop-services))
…

[...]

   Last updated 2020-06-13 12:52:15 CEST

* error setting console font in system.scm
@ 2020-06-13 14:32 Fulbert
From: Fulbert @ 2020-06-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[...]

* Re: error setting console font in system.scm
@ 2020-06-14  4:18 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-06-14  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fulbert; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Fullbert,

Fulbert <fulbert@bluewin.ch> writes:

>   Trying to change console font with the following in "services" section
> of my system configuration file :
>
> ----
> …
>   (services (append (list
>         …
>         (service console-font-service-type
>           `(("tty3" . ,(file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n"))))
>       ) %desktop-services))
> …
> ----
>
> which results in the following error when reconfiguring the system :
>
> ----
> $ sudo guix system --dry-run reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> guix system: error: service 'console-font-tty3' provided more than once
> ----

This is because there is already a console-font-service-type in
%desktop-services. You will need to modify the existing service instead
like below. Note I have not tested this myself but something like it can be
found in the documentation of guile association lists

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Adding-or-Setting-Alist-Entries.html

;; At the top of the file
(use-modules
  (ice-9 match))

;; Replace %desktop-services with this:

(modify-services %desktop-services
  (console-font-service-type
    configuration =>
    (map
      (match-lambda
        (("tty3" . f)
          `("tty3" . (file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n")))
        ((tty . font) `(,tty . ,font)))
      configuration)))

>   I probably missunderstand something and/or ill-format the
> configuration…?… Help appreciated.

No problem. The error message is saying that such a service would
conflict with the existing one. The aim of the snippet is to keep the
other tty fonts and update the one on tty3.

Hope that helps!

- John

* Re: error setting console font in system.scm
@ 2020-06-14 15:50   ` Fulbert
From: Fulbert @ 2020-06-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 09:18:18PM -0700, John Soo wrote:
> Hello Fullbert,
>
> Fulbert <fulbert@bluewin.ch> writes:
>
> >   Trying to change console font with the following in "services" section
> > of my system configuration file :
> >
> > ----
> > …
> >   (services (append (list
> >         …
> >         (service console-font-service-type
> >           `(("tty3" . ,(file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n"))))
> >       ) %desktop-services))
> > …
> > ----
> >
> > which results in the following error when reconfiguring the system :
> >
> > ----
> > $ sudo guix system --dry-run reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> > guix system: error: service 'console-font-tty3' provided more than once
> > ----
>
> This is because there is already a console-font-service-type in
> %desktop-services. […]You will need to modify the existing service instead
> like below. Note I have not tested this myself but something like it can be
> found in the documentation of guile association lists
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Adding-or-Setting-Alist-Entries.html
>
> ;; At the top of the file
> (use-modules
>   (ice-9 match))
>
> ;; Replace %desktop-services with this:
>
> (modify-services %desktop-services
>   (console-font-service-type
>     configuration =>
>     (map
>       (match-lambda
>         (("tty3" . f)
>           `("tty3" . (file-append font-terminus "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n")))
>         ((tty . font) `(,tty . ,font)))
>       configuration)))
>
> >   I probably missunderstand something and/or ill-format the
> > configuration…?… Help appreciated.
>
> No problem. The error message is saying that such a service would
> conflict with the existing one. The aim of the snippet is to keep the
> other tty fonts and update the one on tty3.
>
> Hope that helps!

  Indeed! It works now. Thank you for your Help John !

  For this to work though, I just had to correct a typo : add a `comma`
(to _unquote_, if I'm not wrong) before the `(file-append …`.
So, for reference :
----
;; At the top of the file
(use-modules
  (ice-9 match))

;; Replace %desktop-services with this:
(modify-services %desktop-services
  (console-font-service-type configuration =>
    (map
      (match-lambda
        (("tty3" . f)
          `("tty3" . ,(file-append
                        font-terminus
                        "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n.psf.gz")))

@ 2020-06-14 15:59     ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-06-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fulbert; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fulbert,

Fulbert <fulbert@bluewin.ch> writes:

>   For this to work though, I just had to correct a typo : add a `comma`
> (to _unquote_, if I'm not wrong) before the `(file-append …`.
> So, for reference :
> ----
> ;; At the top of the file
> (use-modules
>   (ice-9 match))
>
> ;; Replace %desktop-services with this:
> (modify-services %desktop-services
>   (console-font-service-type configuration =>
>     (map
>       (match-lambda
>         (("tty3" . f)
>           `("tty3" . ,(file-append
>                         font-terminus
>                         "/share/consolefonts/ter-128n.psf.gz")))
>         ((tty . font) `(,tty . ,font))) configuration)))
> ----

Ah, good catch. HTH!

- John