unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Lazy users and updates
@ 2019-12-27 13:29 Todor Kondić
From: Todor Kondić @ 2019-12-27 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

Given the user-centric approach of Guix, it feels like it should be up to individual users of a shared system to deal with installations and the system updates. But, what to do when they are lazy, or too novice for fiddling with the command line?

Do I use the admin's prerogative and set their own crontabs to pull and "package -u" once in a while? I feel like this is overriding their free will for their own good.

Note that the question is ethical, as much as technical :)

* Re: Lazy users and updates
@ 2019-12-27 14:19 ` Alexei Drozdov
From: Alexei Drozdov @ 2019-12-27 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

It looks like it is not a technical question at all.
Organizational may be.

You can see which packages are obsolete and to remind users to renew them.

@ 2019-12-27 14:56 ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2019-12-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todor Kondić, help-guix\@gnu.org

Am 27.12.19 um 14:29 schrieb Todor Kondić:

> Given the user-centric approach of Guix, it feels like it should be up to individual users of a shared system to deal with installations and the system updates. But, what to do when they are lazy, or too novice for fiddling with the command line?
>
> Do I use the admin's prerogative and set their own crontabs to pull and "package -u" once in a while? I feel like this is overriding their free will for their own good.
>
> Note that the question is ethical, as much as technical :)

Ask your users what they prefer. I'd want to handle this myself, but
many of my colleagues would prefer an admin to take care of all
updating. We are all different :-)

Cheers,
   Konrad.

* Re: Lazy users and updates