unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-21 18:51 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-21 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

I need help that is time-sensitive. I am in middle of doing online
training for my work and got stuck due to requirement for flash
support. I came across GNU Gnash which I can use to play flash in
Icecat. Can someone please package it for me please? I neither have
skills nor time to do it. It would be really helpful if someone could
do it ASAP. Much appreciated.

GNU Gnash Site: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
GNU Gnash Source: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash/

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-21 19:04 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-06-21 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jún. 21., P,
18:51):

> Hello Guix!
>
> I need help that is time-sensitive. I am in middle of doing online
> training for my work and got stuck due to requirement for flash
> support. I came across GNU Gnash which I can use to play flash in
> Icecat. Can someone please package it for me please? I neither have
> skills nor time to do it. It would be really helpful if someone could
> do it ASAP. Much appreciated.

Does not seem to be an easy one to get right. Also, have you tried that
Gnash can really support the flash you are trying to support? I am under
the impression that newer versions of flash are only partially supported.

Having this would be nice, though, and coming up with a wip patch that
you could apply when building guix from git might be fast... Would that
work for you?

> GNU Gnash Site: https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
> GNU Gnash Source: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash/
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> RG.
>
> Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

* Re: GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-21 19:11   ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-21 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

> Does not seem to be an easy one to get right. Also, have you tried
> that
> Gnash can really support the flash you are trying to support? I am
> under
> the impression that newer versions of flash are only partially
> supported.

When I use to use Trisquel long before, which comes with Gnash, most of
the flash use to work. Also, I seriously doubt that my training modules
are using latest flash versions as it indicated me only to enable flash
and not to have the lastest version.

> Having this would be nice, though, and coming up with a wip patch
> that
> you could apply when building guix from git might be fast... Would
> that
> work for you?

I have no idea what wip patch is. I could try if you could direct me
with the steps.

Thank you very much for considering my request.

Regards,
RG.

* Re: GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-22  3:36     ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-22  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

UPDATE:

My training modules' flash components works with gnash in trisquel. But
the trisquel system is too slow inside virtual machine as my host is
X200T. So if anyone could make gnash work in guix, it would be great.

Thanks!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-23 22:01       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-06-23 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jún. 22., Szo,
3:36):

> UPDATE:
>
> My training modules' flash components works with gnash in trisquel. But
> the trisquel system is too slow inside virtual machine as my host is
> X200T. So if anyone could make gnash work in guix, it would be great.

I have something for you. Have a look at
https://gitlab.com/g_bor/flash-channel.
It barely works, but finally I got it build successfully. The browser
plugin is not built,
as that would require an older browser, it would took too much time. Some
stuff is
disabled, and most of tests are not run. Also the doc is not built. I hope
this is a
foundation you can build upon. I am not comfortable with upstreaming this,
and
most probably I will not maintain it further, but I hope it will help you
as is.

> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> RG.

Best regards,
g_bor

--

@ 2019-06-23 23:46 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-06-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: help-guix

* Re: GNU Gnash
@ 2019-06-24 20:19 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-06-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Raghav Gururajan <rvgn@disroot.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jún. 23., V,
23:46):

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for sending me this. Unfortunately, the main thing I
> needed was the browser plugin as my training modules are web-based. Anyway,
> I managed to get my work going by USB booting Trisquel to use GNU Gnash.

I found some more time to tweak this, so the browser plugin now builds. I
can not test this right now, but symlinking the plugin to the proper place
should work. Can you have a look at that?

> If you have time, can you consider packaging Gnash into Guix? It will be
> useful to other guix users as well when they encounter flash support.

I believe I will keep this in this channel for a while, since getting the
docs and the tests build would be nice before upstreaming this. I would
also try
to get it working with ffmpeg4.

Should you need help in setting up the channel, please feel free to contact
me.

> Regards,
> RG.

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21