On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 11:23:00PM +0100, Marco van Hulten wrote: > > This is terrible, but you can work around it by passing a large value to > > the --max-silent-time "common build option": [...] > > Hmm, but the time-out is now after 1 hour of silence, and the whole > process takes over 10 hours before crashing. This option may be useful > if I set a very short time, though it remains to be seen if this ends > guix quickly. I will play around with it. You can also increase the timeout with the --timeout option. However, if it crashes no matter how long you let it run, that's a different problem. > Right now a `guix pull' results in a `dispatch-exception' in procedure > `struct_vtable: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting struct): > #'. It seems that GuixSD (or components) is strongly in > flux right now, so I will try again later and do a proper bug report if > problems persist. This is definitely not supposed to happen. Hopefully it's already been fixed but otherwise a bug report is welcome! > I'd like to test if it is swapping. I have 2 GiB of RAM in a 2-core > machine (Intel Core 2 Duo). I did notice that swap was not enabled yet > on my system, and that (during last `guix pull') around 95% of RAM was > used. > > > > - it took over 10 h to give me back control, whereas this used to be > > > a bit over 2 h in previous tries; > > > > Do you mean that the computer becomes unresponsive? > > Yes. I have a Core 2 Duo system with 3 GiB RAM and `guix pull` takes less than an hour and doesn't swap. > Is 2 GiB considered "memory-constrained"? I'd argue that it should not be, but due to the Guile bug it is. It may not be enough to run `guix pull` — I don't know exactly how much memory is required.