unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>
To: Christopher Batten <cbatten@cornell.edu>
Cc: Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com>,
	Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>,
	"help-guix@gnu.org" <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: "user with UID not found" error
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:37:52 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 1 Aug 2022, Christopher Batten wrote:

>>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 12:51 PM Christopher Batten <cbatten@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmmm ... this made me think that running both was not a great idea?
>>>
>>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system-level_authentication_guide/usingnscd-sssd
>>>
>>> But I am not an expert on any of this :) I guess the key is to just make sure you only enable caching for hosts in /etc/nscd.conf?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Chris
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2022, at 9:14 PM, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> FYI: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-02/msg00263.html
>
> Thanks for everyone's help! I think I understand now: the key is if we want to use guix, then we really do want to run NSCD and SSSD on these RHEL/CentOS systems if at all possible.
>
> So I think we just now need to follow the instructions here?
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system-level_authentication_guide/usingnscd-sssd
>
> Or do you recommend a different way to run NSCD and SSSD at the same time on RHEL/CentOS systems?
>
> Once we figure this out maybe we should add a note about this in the Guix docs here:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html
>
> Especially if Fedora is intending to remove NSCD?
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

I think I've run into a similar issue trying to run packs as well (in my
case on AlmaLinux 9). I produced a pack with

`guix pack -f tarball -RR -S /bin=bin screen sssd glibc`

and running screen from the pack reports:

"getpwuid() can't identify your account!"

screen might be a special-case of program, but it seems the problem exists
in some way even when not trying to install Guix.

Best,
Jack