unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* converting a distro to guixsd
@ 2021-01-17 18:38 kevinbanjo
From: kevinbanjo @ 2021-01-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

So there's a script to install the guix package manager onto another distro.

Is there a script, or at least a doc, on how to then convert that distro in
place into GuixSD?

TIA,
-Kevin

* Re: converting a distro to guixsd
@ 2021-01-17 19:47 ` jbranso
       [not found]   ` <CAOHcZqO_xm4_YiGmgr1LvHozXA3UANnzTBUps8dyQ1_rK1M4Hw@mail.gmail.com>
From: jbranso @ 2021-01-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo, help-guix

Hello Kevin!

Why yes there is!

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

Note: We recommend the use of this shell installer script. The script automates the download, installation, and initial configuration steps described below. It should be run as the root user. As root, you can thus run this:

cd /tmp
wget https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
chmod +x guix-install.sh
./guix-install.sh

It is possible to convert say Debian into Guix System.  After you install guix the package manager onto debian, then you create for config.scm file, then run as root

guix system reconfigure config.scm

Please note that this is perhaps not the ideal way to use install guix system, because a majority of debian specific files will still
be present.  So you will have a mix match of stale unused debian files along side guix specific files.

Have you tried the guix system installation?

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/System-Installation.html#System-Installation

Thanks,

Joshua

@ 2021-01-18  3:42     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-01-18  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo; +Cc: help-guix

kevinbanjo <kevinbanjo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 11:47 AM <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
>
> Actually I was looking at trying to convert an Alpine Linux in WSL into GuixSd

You may be confusing terms.  GuixSD is the deprecated term.  The new
term is Guix System, which is running guix paired with the GNU shepherd
as a GNU/Linux distro.

Guix System implies that GNU/Linux is the host OS.  I suppose that it
might be possible to run Guix System in WSL, but I do not know of anyone
that has tried it.   Why don't you try to run the installer script on
WSL first?  That would get running guix as a package manager in WSL.
Then you could do some playing around.

You could also try running Guix System inside a virtual machine in Windows.

If you really want computing freedom, you might be interested in dual
booting windows and Guix System.  That way at boot time you could choose
to boot into Windows or Guix System.

I personally gave up Windows a long time ago.  I prefer GNU/Linux
because I want to be able to watch all the sappy romantic comedies I
want and not report it to Big Brother.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: converting a distro to guixsd
@ 2021-01-18 17:47       ` kevinbanjo
From: kevinbanjo @ 2021-01-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo, help-guix

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:

> kevinbanjo <kevinbanjo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 17, 2021, 11:47 AM <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
> >
> > Actually I was looking at trying to convert an Alpine Linux in WSL into
> GuixSd
>
> You may be confusing terms.  GuixSD is the deprecated term.  The new
> term is Guix System, which is running guix paired with the GNU shepherd
> as a GNU/Linux distro.

ugh, I hate it when a nice terse term gets deprecated to a more verbose one
:\

> Guix System implies that GNU/Linux is the host OS.  I suppose that it
> might be possible to run Guix System in WSL, but I do not know of anyone
> that has tried it.   Why don't you try to run the installer script on
> WSL first?

yeah, I guess that's what I'll have to try and do.

I started trying to use this to install The Guix System ("TGS") directly
using the instructions here but due to a bug in busybox (not being able to
access directory entries on the virtual disk partitions) I decided to try
and just install it over Alpine.

https://github.com/giuliano108/guix-packages/blob/master/notes/Guix-on-WSL2.md

> That would get running guix as a package manager in WSL.
> Then you could do some playing around.
>
> You could also try running Guix System inside a virtual machine in Windows.

That's kind of in essence what WSL (at least version 2) is.

> If you really want computing freedom, you might be interested in dual
> booting windows and Guix System.  That way at boot time you could choose
> to boot into Windows or Guix System.

I tried that with no luck, the difficulties of which can be seen in some of
my very recent earlier emails to this list.

> I personally gave up Windows a long time ago.  I prefer GNU/Linux
> because I want to be able to watch all the sappy romantic comedies I
> want and not report it to Big Brother.  :)

Yes, I have mostly stuck to some form of Unix most of my long career but
recently I've been asked to develop software for windows and there are
several applications I need that only run under it.   Also, I've downloaded
a bunch of stuff on it recently I'd rather not move off yet so I was
thinking I'd use WSL to check out several more innovative recent distros
before I try and wipe it and go fully native (perhaps eventually running
windows in a VM under linux)

@ 2021-01-19 14:28         ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-01-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo; +Cc: help-guix

kevinbanjo <kevinbanjo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
> I started trying to use this to install The Guix System ("TGS") directly
> using the instructions here but due to a bug in busybox (not being able to
> access directory entries on the virtual disk partitions) I decided to try
> and just install it over Alpine.
>
> https://github.com/giuliano108/guix-packages/blob/master/notes/Guix-on-WSL2.md
>
>> That would get running guix as a package manager in WSL.
>> Then you could do some playing around.
>>
>> You could also try running Guix System inside a virtual machine in Windows.
>>

> That's kind of in essence what WSL (at least version 2) is.
Ahhh.  I didn't know that.
Does qemu work on Linux?  You could install Guix System that way.

>> If you really want computing freedom, you might be interested in dual
>> booting windows and Guix System.  That way at boot time you could choose
>> to boot into Windows or Guix System.
>>

> I tried that with no luck, the difficulties of which can be seen in some of
> my very recent earlier emails to this list.
>
>> I personally gave up Windows a long time ago.  I prefer GNU/Linux
>> because I want to be able to watch all the sappy romantic comedies I
>> want and not report it to Big Brother.  :)
>>

> Yes, I have mostly stuck to some form of Unix most of my long career but
> recently I've been asked to develop software for windows and there are
> several applications I need that only run under it.   Also, I've downloaded
> a bunch of stuff on it recently I'd rather not move off yet so I was
> thinking I'd use WSL to check out several more innovative recent distros
> before I try and wipe it and go fully native (perhaps eventually running
> windows in a VM under linux)

Ok.  Well best of luck!

--

@ 2021-01-19 20:41           ` kevinbanjo
From: kevinbanjo @ 2021-01-19 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo, help-guix

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 6:28 AM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:

> kevinbanjo <kevinbanjo@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > That's kind of in essence what WSL (at least version 2) is.
> Ahhh.  I didn't know that.
> Does qemu work on Linux?  You could install Guix System that way.

Well, that is one possibility but I just got docker working and apparently
there's a pretty automated way to convert a docker image to a wsl2 one so
I'm going to take a stab at that.

WSL2 seems to be a fair bit lighter weight than a full blown VM.   I guess
it's kind of a hybrid between a container and a VM.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/

> Ok.  Well best of luck!

Thanks,

If I don't get this soon, I guess I'm going to whip out the external hard
drive, save off all my important stuff, and go full Guix native then spin
up windows in VMs when I need it, but I have little doubt configuration of
some of these windows programs (which drive hardware) will probably be a
whole nother headache!

-Kevin