unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com>
To: "sirgazil" <sirgazil@zoho.com>
Cc: "Jack Hill" <jackhill@jackhill.us>,
	"Marius Bakke" <mbakke@fastmail.com>,
	 "guix-devel" <guix-devel@gnu.org>,
	"help-guix" <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: core-updates call for testing
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 18:36:29 +0000	[thread overview]

 ---- On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 13:24:51 +0000 sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> wrote ----
 > ---- On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 03:02:23 +0000 Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us> wrote ----
 >  > On Fri, 24 Apr 2020, Marius Bakke wrote:
 >  >
 >  > > The "core-updates" branch is ready for testing!
 >  >
 >  > Hi,
 >  >
 >  > I've reconfigured my user profile and system from the core-updates branch.
 >  > I use a GNOME desktop session. However, I don't use too many fancy
 >  > features. I mostly use GNOME-Terminal, GNOME-Web, and Emacs. I also use
 >  > some GNOME shell extensions.
 >  >
 >  > I have not done extensive testing, but so far the desktop itself seems to
 >  > be in working order, including cursory use of the GNOME settings dialog.
 >
 > Same here. So far, things are working normally. I see the same bugs I've reported against GNOME 3.32.2. Sadly, the leak reported in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40116 is still there.
 >
 > I'll keep testing this weekend.

I found something interesting. I've never been able to use the CD/DVD drive since I migrated to the Guix System (see http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35584). With core-updates, the problem remains to some extent. The difference is that if I leave a DVD in, and reboot, Nautilus detects the DVD (https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/guix-gnome-nautilus-cd-dvd-lectura-2020-04-25-1.png) and I can use it. But once I extract it and put it in again, it is not detected.

In the image in the previous paragraph you can also see a problem in the rendering of the icon in the button to extract the DVD. Several buttons in GNOME applications look like this. I'm wondering if this problem and the GNOME Web app icon rendering problem are related...