unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Avoiding Typing Encryption Passphrase Multiple Times
@ 2022-08-15 16:03 guix.rc7ys--- via
From: guix.rc7ys--- via @ 2022-08-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I currently have both my root and home partition encrypted with the same passphrase. However, I have to type the same passphrase four times, the two partitions while in initial ram disk and then again after the initial ram disk boots the operating system.

Is there a way to only have to type the passphrase once? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John

* Re: Avoiding Typing Encryption Passphrase Multiple Times
@ 2022-08-22  6:19 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2022-08-22  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix.rc7ys, help-guix

Hi John,

I believe the canonical way to do this is to set up LVM on LUKS. See
pros and cons of different approaches in the table at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Overview
With LVM on LUKS, you only need to enter the passphrase once to unlock
the LVM. All partitions inside the LVM are automatically unlocked as a
result.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Arun

* Re: Avoiding Typing Encryption Passphrase Multiple Times
@ 2022-08-22  7:19   ` alex sassmannshausen
From: alex sassmannshausen @ 2022-08-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix.rc7ys, help-guix

Specifically this section might be useful for avoiding the second half of
the passwords that need to be typed:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-crypt/Device_encryption#With_a_keyfile_embedded_in_the_initramfs

I'd be interested in seeing your os declaration if you succeed with this!

Best wishes,

Alex