unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Am I using --with-source improperly?
@ 2020-08-27  2:34 Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2020-08-27  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I asked about this on the IRC but had no luck.

IIUC --with-source=package=source should set the source for "package" to
"source" when something being built depends on "package". For example,
`guix build --with-soure=python2=/tmp/python2 lci` should build the lci
with the python2 source in /tmp/python2, and should work because python2
is a dependency of lci. However, when I try that, I get the message
"guix build: warning: transformation 'with-source' had no effect on
lci@0.11.2". Am I using the --with-source option incorrectly, or is this
some sort of bug? I replace "--with-source=python2=/tmp/python2" with
"--with-source=lci=/tmp/python2" when /tmp/python2 doesn't even exist,
and it gives me the result I would expect: 'guix build: error: lstat: No
such file or directory: "/tmp/python2"'

Should I file this as a bug report?

* Re: Am I using --with-source improperly?
@ 2020-08-27  8:38 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-08-27  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, help-guix

Dear,

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 20:34, Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked about this on the IRC but had no luck.
>
> IIUC --with-source=package=source should set the source for "package" to
> "source" when something being built depends on "package". For example,
> `guix build --with-soure=python2=/tmp/python2 lci` should build the lci
> with the python2 source in /tmp/python2, and should work because python2
> is a dependency of lci. However, when I try that, I get the message
> "guix build: warning: transformation 'with-source' had no effect on
> lci@0.11.2". Am I using the --with-source option incorrectly, or is this
> some sort of bug? I replace "--with-source=python2=/tmp/python2" with
> "--with-source=lci=/tmp/python2" when /tmp/python2 doesn't even exist,
> and it gives me the result I would expect: 'guix build: error: lstat: No
> such file or directory: "/tmp/python2"'
>
> Should I file this as a bug report?

Instead, maybe “--with-source=python-2=/tmp/python2“?

BTW, note that for more complex examples, the complete graph of
dependencies would not be rewritten (if I read correctly).  That’s the
job of ‘package-with-explicit-python’ and especially
‘package-with-python2’.

Hope that helps.
simon

* Re: Am I using --with-source improperly?
@ 2020-08-27 11:23 ` Carlo Zancanaro
From: Carlo Zancanaro @ 2020-08-27 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Jesse!

On Thu, Aug 27 2020, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> Am I using the --with-source option incorrectly, or is this some
> sort of bug?

You could argue either way. This is because --with-source is a
shallow package rewrite, unlike the other --with-X package
transformation options. There is an issue filed about this[1], but
I don't think anybody has found the time to work on it yet.

Carlo

[1]: https://issues.guix.info/issue/42155

* Re: Am I using --with-source improperly?
@ 2020-08-27 16:07   ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2020-08-27 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Zancanaro; +Cc: help-guix

On 8/27/20 5:23 AM, Carlo Zancanaro wrote:
> Hi Jesse!
>
> On Thu, Aug 27 2020, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
>> Am I using the --with-source option incorrectly, or is this some sort
>> of bug?
>
> You could argue either way. This is because --with-source is a shallow
> package rewrite, unlike the other --with-X package transformation
> options. There is an issue filed about this[1], but I don't think
> anybody has found the time to work on it yet.
>
> Carlo
>
> [1]: https://issues.guix.info/issue/42155

I came to a similar conclusion after some hacking late last night.
Thanks for linking to the issue. I might work on it.