unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-24 22:55 Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-05-24 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hey, hey; 'not sure what caused this but my ~guix~ command suddenly
started getting stuck, when I do a pull or try to install a package,
after

> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%

I haven't let it run for longer than an hour but it just sits there and
doesn't progress any further. When I run ~guix upgrade~, it halts,
similarly, after listing which programs it's going to upgrade.

Anyone, possibly, know what this is (or, at least, how I might get
around it)?

Thanks for any help!

* Re: Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-24 23:19 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-05-24 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: help-guix

Wamm K. D. 写道:
>> substitute: updating substitutes from
>> 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>
> I haven't let it run for longer than an hour but it just sits
> there and
> doesn't progress any further. When I run ~guix upgrade~, it
> halts,
> similarly, after listing which programs it's going to upgrade.
>
> Anyone, possibly, know what this is (or, at least, how I might
> get
> around it)?

Sure:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-05/msg00243.html>

Use ‘--substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.gnu.org’ (i.e., remove
bordeaux from the default list) until it's resolved.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-24 23:22 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-05-24 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, 24 May 2022 17:55:20 -0500
"Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hey, hey; 'not sure what caused this but my ~guix~ command suddenly
> started getting stuck, when I do a pull or try to install a package,
> after
>
> > substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...
> > 100.0%
>
> I haven't let it run for longer than an hour but it just sits there
> and doesn't progress any further. When I run ~guix upgrade~, it halts,
> similarly, after listing which programs it's going to upgrade.
>
> Anyone, possibly, know what this is (or, at least, how I might get
> around it)?
>
> Thanks for any help!

For some quick diagnostics maybe you could try running it with strace,
or attaching strace to the running process to see if it's stuck on a
system call or if it's some kind of deadlock or livelock or other
concurrency related fun.
Actually... I thiiink I've experienced a hang like this on my i686
machine, but aborting it and running pull again fixed it.
Does it happen always?

* Re: Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-24 23:50   ` Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-05-24 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Wamm K. D., help-guix

On Wed. (May 25, 2022) at 01:19:50 AM +02, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
> Use ‘--substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.gnu.org’ (i.e., remove bordeaux
> from the default list) until it's resolved.

Huzzah! That did it. Thanks so much, Tobias.

* Re: Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-25  0:10   ` Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-05-25  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: help-guix

On Wed. (May 25, 2022) at 01:22:31 AM +02, raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
> Actually... I thiiink I've experienced a hang like this on my i686
> machine, but aborting it and running pull again fixed it.
> Does it happen always?

Thankfully, no; Tobias had the scoop:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-05/msg00243.html.

Removing the =bordeaux= substitute server made things run as
expected. Gonna just keep doing that until things're resolved.

Thanks for a ton for reaching out with some help; /very/ much appreciated.

* Re: Guix Halts After "updating substitutes from …"
@ 2022-05-25  8:39   ` Wil deBeest
From: Wil deBeest @ 2022-05-25  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Wamm K. D., help-guix