unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Philip McGrath <philip@philipmcgrath.com>
To: raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Getting Guix System to use llvmpipe
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 01:38:43 -0400	[thread overview]

On 10/12/21 4:09 PM, raingloom wrote:
> Just a hunch but maybe you could blacklist the broken firmware on the
> kernel command line arguments. I think it's something like
> modprobe.blacklist=radeon,amdgpu? Sorry, I can't look into it more
> right now, but that should give you some keywords to search for and
> maybe find the proper docs.

Thanks! This turned out not to work (I think parts of the radeon driver
that don't depend on firmware may be used somehow?), but it set me down
a path of looking for places to block things. After quite a bit of
experimentation, I arrived at:

     (set-xorg-configuration
       (xorg-configuration
         (drivers
           '("fbdev" "vesa"))))

I don't know that it's optimal, and it doesn't feel especially elegant,
but it was enough to get X working just now!

-Philip