unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
@ 2020-07-30  1:11 Matthew Brooks
From: Matthew Brooks @ 2020-07-30  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Does anyone happen to know of any desktop graphics cards that have working acceleration for basic gaming (compatible with a PCI express x16 slot)? My laptop has an integrated intel card, so it can play basic stuff (Doom, etc.) just fine, but my desktop pretty much turns anything gaming related into a slideshow, despite it having far better specs, since my current card requires proprietary drivers for proper performance.

I did a bit of internet searching, but didn't find any results that looked relevant.

* Re: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
@ 2020-07-30  8:23 ` zloster
From: zloster @ 2020-07-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 30.07.2020 04:11, Matthew Brooks wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know of any desktop graphics cards that have working acceleration for basic gaming (compatible with a PCI express x16 slot)? My laptop has an integrated intel card, so it can play basic stuff (Doom, etc.) just fine, but my desktop pretty much turns anything gaming related into a slideshow, despite it having far better specs, since my current card requires proprietary drivers for proper performance.
>
> I did a bit of internet searching, but didn't find any results that looked relevant.

This question pops from time to time. See here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-02/msg00212.html
Due to promoting only free and libre software the problem with the
hardware acceleration, video drivers and the binary BLOBS is not well
documented. It's a separate discussion if and what should be described
and documented.

Best regards,
zloster

* Re: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
@ 2020-07-30 11:07 ` Tirifto
From: Tirifto @ 2020-07-30 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello!

Le Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:11:32 -0500,
Matthew Brooks <matthewfbrooks@mailbox.org> a écrit :

> Does anyone happen to know of any desktop graphics cards that have
> working acceleration for basic gaming (compatible with a PCI express
> x16 slot)? My laptop has an integrated intel card, so it can play
> basic stuff (Doom, etc.) just fine, but my desktop pretty much turns
> anything gaming related into a slideshow, despite it having far
> better specs, since my current card requires proprietary drivers for
> proper performance.
>
> I did a bit of internet searching, but didn't find any results that
> looked relevant.

There is a database of libre-software-compatible hardware at
<h-node.org>, hosted by the Free Software Foundation. While it’s
probably missing a lot of devices, searching for video cards with PCI-e
interface and working 3D acceleration yields quite a few results¹, so
you could look into those.

Best wishes
// Tirifto

1.
https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/works_with_3D/PCI-E/video-card-works/undef

* Re: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
@ 2020-07-30 11:50   ` zloster
From: zloster @ 2020-07-30 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 30.07.2020 14:07, Tirifto wrote:

> There is a database of libre-software-compatible hardware at
> <h-node.org>, hosted by the Free Software Foundation. While it’s
> probably missing a lot of devices, searching for video cards with PCI-e
> interface and working 3D acceleration yields quite a few results¹, so
> you could look into those.
>
> Best wishes
> // Tirifto
>
> 1.
> https://h-node.org/videocards/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/undef/works_with_3D/PCI-E/video-card-works/undef

The latest card there is from 2017:
https://h-node.org/videocards/view/en/2024/Advanced-Micro-Devices--Inc---AMD-ATI--Ellesmere--Radeon-RX-470-480-570-570X-580-580X-/1/1/undef/2017/works_with_3D/PCI-E/video-card-works/undef
An AMD card. The note says:

  "This card is supposed to be run with the AMDGPU driver which *depends
on a binary firmware*."

Best regards,
zloster