unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-19 21:29 rennes
       [not found] ` <0490E1AD-3AAD-49BB-A90D-475F18C30308@sumou.com>
From: rennes @ 2016-01-19 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi people,

I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook. There are some
issue with touchpad.

If anyone has problems with the keyboard when boot guixsd, fix with the
following commands:

rmmod usbhid
rmmod usbkbd

or use an external usb keyboard.

regards

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-20 22:47 ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found] ` <0490E1AD-3AAD-49BB-A90D-475F18C30308@sumou.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-20 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

Hi,

rennes@openmailbox.org skribis:

> I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook. There are some
> issue with touchpad.
>
> If anyone has problems with the keyboard when boot guixsd, fix with
> the following commands:
>
> rmmod usbhid
> rmmod usbkbd
>
> or use an external usb keyboard.

Interesting!  We were discussing this at <http://bugs.gnu.org/20433>,
and it seems that only ‘usbkbd’ was at fault.

Could you check if removing ‘usbkbd’ alone is enough?

I would expect ‘usbhid’ to be required since the internal keyboard
appears to be a USB device.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-21 21:39   ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-01-21 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

On 2016-01-20 16:47, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> rennes@openmailbox.org skribis:
>
>> I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook. There are some
>> issue with touchpad.
>>
>> If anyone has problems with the keyboard when boot guixsd, fix with
>> the following commands:
>>
>> rmmod usbhid
>> rmmod usbkbd
>>
>> or use an external usb keyboard.
>
> Interesting!  We were discussing this at <http://bugs.gnu.org/20433>,
> and it seems that only ‘usbkbd’ was at fault.
>
> Could you check if removing ‘usbkbd’ alone is enough?
>
> I would expect ‘usbhid’ to be required since the internal keyboard
> appears to be a USB device.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Hi Ludo,

is correct, removing 'usbkbd'.

I only use 'rmmod usbhid' to reload the module of the internal keyboard.

i test configuring from the scratch the machine and it´s working:

(operating-system
   (host-name "antelope")
   (timezone "Europe/Paris")
   (locale "en_US.UTF-8")
   (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=usbkbd"))

if i reconfigure:

   sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/configuration.scm

is not working.

regards

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-21 23:13     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-01-21 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

rennes@openmailbox.org (2016-01-22 00:39 +0300) wrote:

> On 2016-01-20 16:47, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> rennes@openmailbox.org skribis:
>>
>>> I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook. There are some
>>> issue with touchpad.
>>>
>>> If anyone has problems with the keyboard when boot guixsd, fix with
>>> the following commands:
>>>
>>> rmmod usbhid
>>> rmmod usbkbd
>>>
>>> or use an external usb keyboard.
>>
>> Interesting!  We were discussing this at <http://bugs.gnu.org/20433>,
>> and it seems that only ‘usbkbd’ was at fault.
>>
>> Could you check if removing ‘usbkbd’ alone is enough?
>>
>> I would expect ‘usbhid’ to be required since the internal keyboard
>> appears to be a USB device.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>

> Hi Ludo,
>
> is correct, removing 'usbkbd'.
>
> I only use 'rmmod usbhid' to reload the module of the internal keyboard.
>
> i test configuring from the scratch the machine and it´s working:
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "antelope")
>   (timezone "Europe/Paris")
>   (locale "en_US.UTF-8")
>   (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=usbkbd"))
>

> if i reconfigure:
>
>   sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/configuration.scm
>
> is not working.

Did you do "guix pull" before reconfiguring?  Support for
"modprobe.blacklist" arguments was added several days ago, so you need
to have a recent guix code.

--
Alex

* Re: guixsd on macbook
       [not found] ` <0490E1AD-3AAD-49BB-A90D-475F18C30308@sumou.com>
@ 2016-01-23  9:45   ` 白い熊@相撲道
From: 白い熊@相撲道 @ 2016-01-23  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On January 19, 2016 10:29:17 PM CET, rennes@openmailbox.org wrote:
>I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook.

Macbook's WiFi needs the proprietary Broadcom STA wireless drivers and the video for X needs the proprietary Nvidia display driver.

How did you overcome or solve these issues?
--
白い熊@相撲道

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-23 17:53     ` Christopher Allan Webber
From: Christopher Allan Webber @ 2016-01-23 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊@相撲道; +Cc: help-guix

白い熊@相撲道 writes:

> On January 19, 2016 10:29:17 PM CET, rennes@openmailbox.org wrote:
>>I've finished installing correctly GuixSD on macbook.
>
> Macbook's WiFi needs the proprietary Broadcom STA wireless drivers and
> the video for X needs the proprietary Nvidia display driver.
>
> How did you overcome or solve these issues?

Maybe nouvau can work?  Even if it's not as powerful, if it can display
X, that's still good.

There's also the free-software-supporting usb wifi device sold by
ThinkPenguin.

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-29  2:32       ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-01-29  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

hi,

On 2016-01-22 00:13, Alex Kost wrote:
> rennes@openmailbox.org (2016-01-22 00:39 +0300) wrote:
>
>> On 2016-01-20 16:47, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> rennes@openmailbox.org skribis:

>>> Interesting!  We were discussing this at <http://bugs.gnu.org/20433>,
>>> and it seems that only ‘usbkbd’ was at fault.
>>>
>>> Could you check if removing ‘usbkbd’ alone is enough?
>>>
>>> I would expect ‘usbhid’ to be required since the internal keyboard
>>> appears to be a USB device.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ludo’.
>>

>> Hi Ludo,
>>
>> is correct, removing 'usbkbd'.
>>
>> I only use 'rmmod usbhid' to reload the module of the internal
>> keyboard.
>>
>> i test configuring from the scratch the machine and it´s working:
>>
>> (operating-system
>>   (host-name "antelope")
>>   (timezone "Europe/Paris")
>>   (locale "en_US.UTF-8")
>>   (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=usbkbd"))
>>

>> if i reconfigure:
>>
>>   sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/configuration.scm
>>
>> is not working.
>
> Did you do "guix pull" before reconfiguring?  Support for
> "modprobe.blacklist" arguments was added several days ago, so you need
> to have a recent guix code.

apologies for my late reply, i test run "guix pull" before
reconfiguring, and its don`t working.

For the moment i use the first option, configuring from the scratch.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-29  8:46         ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-01-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

rennes@openmailbox.org (2016-01-29 05:32 +0300) wrote:

> hi,
>
> On 2016-01-22 00:13, Alex Kost wrote:
>> rennes@openmailbox.org (2016-01-22 00:39 +0300) wrote:

>>> Hi Ludo,
>>>
>>> is correct, removing 'usbkbd'.
>>>
>>> I only use 'rmmod usbhid' to reload the module of the internal
>>> keyboard.
>>>
>>> i test configuring from the scratch the machine and it´s working:
>>>
>>> (operating-system
>>>   (host-name "antelope")
>>>   (timezone "Europe/Paris")
>>>   (locale "en_US.UTF-8")
>>>   (kernel-arguments '("modprobe.blacklist=usbkbd"))
>>>

>>> if i reconfigure:
>>>
>>>   sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/configuration.scm
>>>
>>> is not working.
>>
>> Did you do "guix pull" before reconfiguring?  Support for
>> "modprobe.blacklist" arguments was added several days ago, so you need
>> to have a recent guix code.
>

> apologies for my late reply, i test run "guix pull" before
> reconfiguring, and its don`t working.

Since a system is configured from root, you also need to run "guix pull"
as root.  Did you do it, did you just run "guix pull" from your user?

--
Alex

* Re: guixsd on macbook
@ 2016-01-29 17:22           ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2016-01-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix, 20433

On 2016-01-29 09:46, Alex Kost wrote:
> rennes@openmailbox.org (2016-01-29 05:32 +0300) wrote:
>
>> hi,

>>> Did you do "guix pull" before reconfiguring?  Support for
>>> "modprobe.blacklist" arguments was added several days ago, so you
>>> need
>>> to have a recent guix code.
>>

>> apologies for my late reply, i test run "guix pull" before
>> reconfiguring, and its don`t working.
>
> Since a system is configured from root, you also need to run "guix
> pull"
> as root.  Did you do it, did you just run "guix pull" from your user?

Thanks Alex,

now works!.