unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Welcome to Grub!... for a minute
@ 2020-11-25 11:37 Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2020-11-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi,

I just wanted to report (although this is probably already known) that I had to wait for a long time (probably more than a minute) staring at "Welcome to Grub!" screen upon reboot, after accumulating thousands of guix system generations.  I was experimenting with something and I suspected that was the cause - sure enough, after deleting them all with guix system delete-generations command, the delay disappeared.

Just reporting 😄

* Re: Welcome to Grub!... for a minute
@ 2020-11-27 11:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-11-27 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: Guix Devel, help-guix

Hi Yasuaki,

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> skribis:

> I just wanted to report (although this is probably already known) that I had to wait for a long time (probably more than a minute) staring at "Welcome to Grub!" screen upon reboot, after accumulating thousands of guix system generations.  I was experimenting with something and I suspected that was the cause - sure enough, after deleting them all with guix system delete-generations command, the delay disappeared.

Oh, good to know.  I never went as far as having thousands (thousands,
really?) of system generations, so I never noticed (I probably have 15
or so at most), and probably that’s the case for most people.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Welcome to Grub!... for a minute
@ 2020-11-27 11:18 ` Nicolò Balzarotti
From: Nicolò Balzarotti @ 2020-11-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo, Guix Devel, help-guix

Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to report (although this is probably already known) that I had to wait for a long time (probably more than a minute) staring at "Welcome to Grub!" screen upon reboot, after accumulating thousands of guix system generations.  I was experimenting with something and I suspected that was the cause - sure enough, after deleting them all with guix system delete-generations command, the delay disappeared.
>
> Just reporting 😄

Hi, I have 252 generations on an SSD, and grub is still fast

Nicolò