unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-08  9:49 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-08  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 648 bytes --]

Hi,

I would like to use the

The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color
Temperature filter,

Is there a package in Guix to support this?

I am using MATE Desktop and I couldn’t find anything.

I heard that Gnome supports that, also KDE but both I haven’t installed
(yet).
I don’t know if Enlightenment Desktop has that option, but because of
several problems I don’t use Enlightenment often.

My laptop Tuxedo (german company) supports that, but to enable it in
Guix, I would have to write a programme to use the Tuxedo programme,
which is impossible for me.
--
Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-08 11:00 ` André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2023-03-08 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the
>
> The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color
> Temperature filter,
>
> Is there a package in Guix to support this?

If you're looking for an external tool (not included in the desktop
environment), I'd suggest gammastep.  I'm not sure whether it works both
on X and Wayland, but I think it does!

--
André A. Gomes
"You cannot even find the ruins..."

* Re: The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-08 11:23 ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2023-03-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

W dniu śro, 08.03.2023 o godzinie 09∶49 +0000, użytkownik Gottfried
napisał:
> [...]
>
> Is there a package in Guix to support this?
>
> [...]

Actually, there is a Redshift service for this functionality,
documented here:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Desktop-Home-Services.html

I am not familiar with Tuxedo software, so I hope this matches your
needs.

* Re: The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-08 11:55   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-03-08 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André A. Gomes; +Cc: Gottfried, help-guix

André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
>> The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color
>> Temperature filter,
>>
>> Is there a package in Guix to support this?
>
> If you're looking for an external tool (not included in the desktop
> environment), I'd suggest gammastep.  I'm not sure whether it works both
> on X and Wayland, but I think it does!

I use redshift — does that do what you need?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-08 17:23     ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-03-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, André A. Gomes; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1027 bytes --]

Hi,

thank you very much.

I installed redshift,
but where can I find it?

in the shell:

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ redshift
Trying location provider `geoclue2'...
Using provider `geoclue2'.
Using method `randr'.
Waiting for initial location to become available...
Unable to obtain GeoClue client path: Timeout was reached.
Unable to get location from provider.

what can I do?

Kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2023-03-09  6:31       ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2023-03-09  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: André A. Gomes, help-guix

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> in the shell:
>
> gfp@Tuxedo ~$ redshift
> Trying location provider `geoclue2'...
> Using provider `geoclue2'.
> Using method `randr'.
> Waiting for initial location to become available...
> Unable to obtain GeoClue client path: Timeout was reached.
> Unable to get location from provider.

For Germany I use this:

redshift -l 48:8 -t 6500:3500 &

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein,

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: The Night Light filter, also known as Blue Light filter or Color Temperature filter
@ 2023-03-09 10:05 ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2023-03-09 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

For some reason, my response was not posted by the list - I used a "respond to the list" option of Evolution.

Here it is again: