unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* Workflows with SciPipe
@ 2020-07-20 13:38 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-07-20 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science

Hello summer scientists!

I just stumbled upon this article:

  SciPipe—Turning Scientific Workflows into Computer Programs

  https://ieeecs-media.computer.org/media/marketing/cedge_digital/ce-jul20-final.pdf
  (p. 16)

SciPipe is implemented as a Go library.  Although the article mentions
reproducibility, SciPipe seems to not take care of software deployment.

Ludo’.

* Re: Workflows with SciPipe
@ 2020-07-22  8:28 ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2020-07-22  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-science

Hi everyone,

> Le 20 juil. 2020 à 15:38, Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr>
>
> SciPipe is implemented as a Go library.  Although the article mentions
> reproducibility, SciPipe seems to not take care of software deployment.

It doesn’t. But since it should be easy to package in Guix... no problem! ;-)

Some background information: SciPipe is part of the thesis work of Samuel Lampa. I happened to be a member of his PhD jury, and in the end I invited him to write this paper for the “Scientific Programming” department of CiSE.

If anyone here has some nice use of Guix to share, you are more than welcome to contribute an article for that department as well!

Cheers,
  Konrad

* Re: Workflows with SciPipe
@ 2020-07-22 21:44   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-07-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen; +Cc: guix-science

Hello!

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@cnrs.fr> skribis:

>> Le 20 juil. 2020 à 15:38, Ludovic Courtès <ludovic.courtes@inria.fr>
>>
>> SciPipe is implemented as a Go library.  Although the article mentions
>> reproducibility, SciPipe seems to not take care of software deployment.
>
> It doesn’t. But since it should be easy to package in Guix... no problem! ;-)

Right!  It does mean that deployment is left as an exercise to the user,
though.

> Some background information: SciPipe is part of the thesis work of Samuel Lampa. I happened to be a member of his PhD jury, and in the end I invited him to write this paper for the “Scientific Programming” department of CiSE.

Oh, it’s a small world, thanks for the info!

Ludo’.