unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* guix-jupyter and allowing network access in isolated containers
@ 2021-09-10  8:11 jgart via Guix-Science
From: jgart via Guix-Science @ 2021-09-10  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès

Hi Ludo,

Hope all is well!

I'm messaging here to keep our corespondence public in case it is helpful for others.

An isolated guix-jupyter container does not have access to the internet by default as I read from your blog
post and from the source code of guix-kernel.

What would be the best way to allow networking in a guix-kernel/guix-jupyter isolated container?

Should I be modifying the code for eval/container* in order to create a custom jupyter kernel that allows network access for code run in notebook cells?

Some places were eval/container* is found in the code:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-kernel/-/blob/master/guix/jupyter/containers.scm#L40
https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-kernel/-/blob/master/guix/jupyter/kernel.scm#L181

I'm assuming that the --network command line option won't work with guix-kernel and why I'm
asking about creating my own modified jupyter kernel container instance with network access.

Does it makes sense to have a majic to allow a guix-jupyter notebook user access to the internet?

;;guix allow

like `direnv allow`

or

;;guix network

after the corresponding cli option of `guix environment --network`

I'm interested in this feature for guix-jupyter because I am putting together a demo notebook
showcasing requests to the GeneNetwork REST API.

all best,

jgart

/ 3B1D 7F19 E36B B60C 0F5B 2CA9 A52A A2B4 \
\ 77B6 DD35                               /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-09-10 13:10 UTC | newest]