unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [WEBSITE]: Remove version in package URLs?
@ 2021-07-09 17:37 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-07-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello Guix!

We have web interface for list of available packages.
https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/

The absolute link to package page contains version in the URL. For
example, Hello: https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/hello-2.10/

This prevents the URL to be used as perma-link by upstreams, as when the
version changes the link gets broken.

Shall we remove the version part `-x.y.x` from the URL?

Regards,
RG.

* Re: [WEBSITE]: Remove version in package URLs?
@ 2021-07-10  3:41 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-07-10  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello Raghav!

Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> We have web interface for list of available
> packages. https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/
>
> The absolute link to package page contains version in the URL. For
> example, Hello: https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/hello-2.10/
>
> This prevents the URL to be used as perma-link by upstreams, as when
> the version changes the link gets broken.
>
> Shall we remove the version part `-x.y.x` from the URL?

This sounds like a good idea to me!

Thank you,

Maxim

* Re: [WEBSITE]: Remove version in package URLs?
@ 2021-07-10 13:13 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-07-10 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Raghav,

This is a known issue. See https://issues.guix.gnu.org/32261. And a proposed patch in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40266 (I haven't checked what it does).

> Shall we remove the version part `-x.y.x` from the URL?

Is it really enough to just remove the version? Aren't both "packagename" and "package-name-x.y.z" impermanent? Because packages get removed from Guix too, not just versions, right?

So, it is not clear to me whether issue #32261 is asking for URL paths for every package in the latest revision of GNU Guix, regardless of their impermanence from revision to revision, or asking for permanent URL paths to every package that has been available in GNU Guix history, regardless of whether the package is currently available or not. If it is the latter, where could one get a historical registry of all the packages? From the Guix Data Service, maybe?