Ludovic Courtès writes: > Speaking of which: should we get rid of icedtea6:jdk in the default R > package (closure size: 1GiB), and maybe of TeX Live (4GiB)? Or should > we provide, say, ‘r-light’ with the definition above? > > I’m afraid having these two dependencies by default makes it > prohibitively expensive. I investigated this a bit and found that the JDK is not really needed at build time. The first patch includes a comment explaining why we dropped the JDK from the inputs. The second patch adds build phases to install the info documentation. Removing texlive is possible as well, but it results in the loss of the following files: ./lib/R/library/grid /doc displaylist.R displaylist.Rnw frame.R frame.Rnw grid.R grid.Rnw grobs.R grobs.Rnw index.html interactive.R interactive.Rnw locndimn.R locndimn.Rnw moveline.R moveline.Rnw nonfinite.R nonfinite.Rnw plotexample.R plotexample.Rnw rotated.R rotated.Rnw saveload.R saveload.Rnw sharing.R sharing.Rnw viewports.R viewports.Rnw /Meta vignette.rds ./lib/R/library/parallel /doc index.html parallel.R parallel.Rnw /Meta vignette.rds ./lib/R/library/utils /doc index.html Sweave.R Sweave.Rnw /Meta vignette.rds Note that these Rnw files are all literate programming sources containing the sources that are untangled to .R files and the PDF documentation. Interestingly, the source tarball already contains the PDF files (e.g. the one installed to “lib/R/library/grid/doc/viewports.pdf”), so we don’t need texlive to generate them. Attached are the three patches. ~~ Ricardo