unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-09-01 19:39 Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-09-01 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey Guix!

I just got my phinephone.  It's currently running postmarketOS (1).  I
usually work nights two nights a week 10pm-6am (EST) Sunday night and
Monday night.  If a guix developer would like ssh access to it during
those times, then please let me know.  If I should use Mobian instead
to help port guix to it, then I would be willing to switch.

I'd be happy to help out!  Also jmp.chat (2) works really well with
chatty.

Thanks,

Joshua

1) https://postmarketos.org/source-code/

2) https://jmp.chat

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-09-02 15:59 ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-09-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> Hey Guix!
>
> I just got my phinephone.

Horray!  Awesome!

> It's currently running postmarketOS (1).  I usually work nights two
> nights a week 10pm-6am (EST) Sunday night and Monday night.  If a guix
> developer would like ssh access to it during those times, then please
> let me know.  If I should use Mobian instead to help port guix to it,
> then I would be willing to switch.

I wonder how much harder it is to port the pine*.scm stuff over as a
"just get it to boot" first step.  It can't be too hard... can it?!

It looks like I'm being "forced" to switch over to my pinephone as my
primary phone anyway.  So maybe now's a good time to see if we can Guix
it up.

Guix on top of Mobian makes sense as a starting point to just make sure
packiages work though I suppose.  I do have Mobian running on mine so
maybe that's a great place to start.

What I'd really like: to use the Guix System Image API so I can do a
"just works" flash-to-sd-card.

> I'd be happy to help out!  Also jmp.chat (2) works really well with
> chatty.

Let's talk in #guix?!

> Thanks,
>
> Joshua
>
> 1) https://postmarketos.org/source-code/
>
> 2) https://jmp.chat

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-09-04 23:37   ` vidak
From: vidak @ 2021-09-04 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Yo all!

Just put the latest nightly Mobian again on my pinephone--I am going to
attempt to put Guix on it over the next couple days.

I will keep everyone posted on how the process goes (:

~vidak

On 2021-09-02 15:59, Christine Lemmer-Webber wrote:
> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
>
>> Hey Guix!
>>
>> I just got my phinephone.
>
> Horray!  Awesome!
>
>> It's currently running postmarketOS (1).  I usually work nights two
>> nights a week 10pm-6am (EST) Sunday night and Monday night.  If a guix
>> developer would like ssh access to it during those times, then please
>> let me know.  If I should use Mobian instead to help port guix to it,
>> then I would be willing to switch.
>
> I wonder how much harder it is to port the pine*.scm stuff over as a
> "just get it to boot" first step.  It can't be too hard... can it?!
>
> It looks like I'm being "forced" to switch over to my pinephone as my
> primary phone anyway.  So maybe now's a good time to see if we can Guix
> it up.
>
> Guix on top of Mobian makes sense as a starting point to just make sure
> packiages work though I suppose.  I do have Mobian running on mine so
> maybe that's a great place to start.
>
> What I'd really like: to use the Guix System Image API so I can do a
> "just works" flash-to-sd-card.
>
>> I'd be happy to help out!  Also jmp.chat (2) works really well with
>> chatty.
>
> Let's talk in #guix?!
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joshua
>>
>> 1) https://postmarketos.org/source-code/
>>
>> 2) https://jmp.chat

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-01 18:15 ` Kaelyn
From: Kaelyn @ 2021-10-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I just received my pinephone this morning, so I'm going to be interested in bringing Guix to the pinephone as well. I hope to have the capacity to help with the efforts, even if it's just the occasional testing.

Cheers,
Kaelyn

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> I just got my phinephone. It's currently running postmarketOS (1). I
>
> usually work nights two nights a week 10pm-6am (EST) Sunday night and
>
> Monday night. If a guix developer would like ssh access to it during
>
> those times, then please let me know. If I should use Mobian instead
>
> to help port guix to it, then I would be willing to switch.
>
> I'd be happy to help out! Also jmp.chat (2) works really well with
>
> chatty.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joshua
>
> 1.  https://postmarketos.org/source-code/
> 2.  https://jmp.chat

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-01 22:55   ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-10-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaelyn; +Cc: guix-devel

I think the easiest step to first testing would be to install Guix
(userspace package manager) from Debian on Mobian.  I've been meaning to
do that, haven't tried yet...

from there we can look at what's necessary to go full distro....

Kaelyn <kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi Guix!
>
> I just received my pinephone this morning, so I'm going to be
> interested in bringing Guix to the pinephone as well. I hope to have
> the capacity to help with the efforts, even if it's just the
> occasional testing.
>
> Cheers,
> Kaelyn
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-01 23:29   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-10-01 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber, Kaelyn; +Cc: guix-devel

October 1, 2021 6:56 PM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> I think the easiest step to first testing would be to install Guix
> (userspace package manager) from Debian on Mobian. I've been meaning to
> do that, haven't tried yet...

Weirdly....I'm not certain that I want guix on my pinephone.  Specifically
I got my Pinephone, because I was tired of google's spyware.  AND I wanted
a life phone, which is a phone that is so boring to use, you put it down
and go live a life instead.  :)

I've actually installed Mobian, removed the user "mobian" from the
suoders list, and had my mom change the root password on my phone.
So, my phone by design does not have firefox or tootle installed...

If I installed guix system, I could re-install those annoying apps
that drain my life away.  It would be nice if guix system could
create a user that is not allowed to install applications, or had
only a whitelist of applications that he could install.

That's my two cents.  :)

@ 2021-10-02 13:04     ` Christine Lemmer-Webber
From: Christine Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-10-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: guix-devel

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

> October 1, 2021 6:56 PM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
>
>> I think the easiest step to first testing would be to install Guix
>> (userspace package manager) from Debian on Mobian. I've been meaning to
>> do that, haven't tried yet...
>
> Weirdly....I'm not certain that I want guix on my pinephone.  Specifically
> I got my Pinephone, because I was tired of google's spyware.  AND I wanted
> a life phone, which is a phone that is so boring to use, you put it down
> and go live a life instead.  :)
>
> I've actually installed Mobian, removed the user "mobian" from the
> suoders list, and had my mom change the root password on my phone.
> So, my phone by design does not have firefox or tootle installed...
>
> If I installed guix system, I could re-install those annoying apps
> that drain my life away.  It would be nice if guix system could
> create a user that is not allowed to install applications, or had
> only a whitelist of applications that he could install.
>
> That's my two cents.  :)

Well I understand.  For years I've kept all the social stuff off my
phone to not be too sucked into it.  I use a browser, but in read-only
mode...!

>> from there we can look at what's necessary to go full distro....
>>
>> Kaelyn <kaelyn.alexi@protonmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Guix!
>>>
>>> I just received my pinephone this morning, so I'm going to be
>>> interested in bringing Guix to the pinephone as well. I hope to have
>>> the capacity to help with the efforts, even if it's just the
>>> occasional testing.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Kaelyn
>>>
>>> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-02 16:45       ` Tobias Platen
From: Tobias Platen @ 2021-10-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I ordered my Librem 5 about one year ago and I'm still waiting
for it. Since backorder shipping resumes October 2021, I expect to get
mine in Q4 2021.

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-02 21:23     ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-10-02 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Kaelyn, guix-devel

October 2, 2021 11:40 AM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> jbranso@dismail.de writes:
>
>> October 1, 2021 6:56 PM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the easiest step to first testing would be to install Guix
>>> (userspace package manager) from Debian on Mobian. I've been meaning to
>>> do that, haven't tried yet...
>>
>> Weirdly....I'm not certain that I want guix on my pinephone. Specifically
>> I got my Pinephone, because I was tired of google's spyware. AND I wanted
>> a life phone, which is a phone that is so boring to use, you put it down
>> and go live a life instead. :)
>>
>> I've actually installed Mobian, removed the user "mobian" from the
>> suoders list, and had my mom change the root password on my phone.
>> So, my phone by design does not have firefox or tootle installed...
>>
>> If I installed guix system, I could re-install those annoying apps
>> that drain my life away. It would be nice if guix system could
>> create a user that is not allowed to install applications, or had
>> only a whitelist of applications that he could install.
>>
>> That's my two cents. :)
>
> Well I understand. For years I've kept all the social stuff off my
> phone to not be too sucked into it. I use a browser, but in read-only
> mode...!

Thanks for understanding Chris.  For some reason I expected people to be
annoyed with me for not wanting guix on my phone...  :)

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joshua
>>
>> 1. https://postmarketos.org/source-code
>> 2. https://jmp.chat

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-02 21:24     ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-10-02 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christine Lemmer-Webber; +Cc: Kaelyn, guix-devel

October 2, 2021 11:40 AM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> jbranso@dismail.de writes:
>
>> October 1, 2021 6:56 PM, "Christine Lemmer-Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the easiest step to first testing would be to install Guix
>>> (userspace package manager) from Debian on Mobian. I've been meaning to
>>> do that, haven't tried yet...
>>
>> Weirdly....I'm not certain that I want guix on my pinephone. Specifically
>> I got my Pinephone, because I was tired of google's spyware. AND I wanted
>> a life phone, which is a phone that is so boring to use, you put it down
>> and go live a life instead. :)
>>
>> I've actually installed Mobian, removed the user "mobian" from the
>> suoders list, and had my mom change the root password on my phone.
>> So, my phone by design does not have firefox or tootle installed...
>>
>> If I installed guix system, I could re-install those annoying apps
>> that drain my life away. It would be nice if guix system could
>> create a user that is not allowed to install applications, or had
>> only a whitelist of applications that he could install.
>>
>> That's my two cents. :)
>
> Well I understand. For years I've kept all the social stuff off my
> phone to not be too sucked into it. I use a browser, but in read-only
> mode...!

Also what's read-only mode?  A web browser that doesn't support images/video ?

* Re: I just got my pinephone.
@ 2021-10-02 22:20         ` Nicolò Balzarotti
From: Nicolò Balzarotti @ 2021-10-02 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Platen, guix-devel

Tobias Platen <guix@platen-software.de> writes:

> I ordered my Librem 5 about one year ago and I'm still waiting
> for it. Since backorder shipping resumes October 2021, I expect to get
> mine in Q4 2021.

I have a spare PinePhone since when, back in February, I received my L5!

I installed guix binary over pureos and it's working great.  I offload
build to an x64 server (with qemu-binfmt-service-type).  Many programs
fail to build, but for others guix works well (just a bit slow).

I don't know the way forward (how to get a guix image to boot on it).

However, my pinephone is unused.  If we hold the guix days live this year,
guix on the phone should be something we'd want to try, as it seems we
have a few devices to work on.