Hartmut Goebel schreef op wo 23-02-2022 om 09:57 [+0100]: > TL;DR: What do you think about the idea of an „extracting dowloader“? > > I'm about pick up work on „extracting downloader“ and the rebar build > system (for erlang), see for a first > try, In the aforementioned issue some points came up regarding the basic > design of the patch. Thus before starting to write code, I'd like to > agree on a basic design. Could the ‘extracting’ downloader be built on top of the regular downloader? More concretely: (package (name "some-package-from-hex") (source (extract-from-hex (origin (method "http://some-url-pointing-to-a-tarball-wrapped-in-a-tarball") (sha256 (base32 ))))) (build-system ...)) Here, 'extract-from-hex' would turn a file-like object into a , which lowers to some derivation extracting the tarball from the tarball. (guix upstream) might need to be modified to support . Also, is there some fundamental reason that hex.pm wraps tars inside tars and only provides the wrapped tars, or could hex.pm be convinced to also serve the underlying tars directly? A benefit of delegating the actual downloading to url-fetch, is that (guix scripts perform-download) would be used, so connections could be cached. Greetings, Maxime.