On 5/30/22 18:49, zimoun wrote: > > Well, me, personally, I continue to do most of my research using > Python 2 because I cannot afford to port everything to Python > 3. And since I do only number crunching, meaning nothing with > security implications, I am not particularly worried. > > [...] > > Once Python 2 lives in a largely isolated package sub-universe, > I don't see much harm keeping it in Guix for now. If security > issues become apparent, we might have to do something more > drastic. I think time-machine is the tool to use here, and as Maxime suggested, if you really need to keep maintaining a python2 package than guix-past is the perfect place to do it (porting to python3 makes probably still more sense than maintaining an outdated python package). > > It appears to me surprising: we do not provide a schedule for the > removals, then bang purge. > I don't see the problem, python 2 was sunsetting in 2020(!) [1] after a prolongation from 2015, so it should not come as a surprise. Cheers, Reza [1] https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/ -- Reza Housseini This message is signed with my GnuPG key: C0F3 0812 9AF2 80F4 0830 C2C1 C375 C6AF 0512 5C52