unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: dftxbs3e <dftxbs3e@free.fr>
To: Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org>
Cc: Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: New POWER9 machines for the Guix build farm?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:35:29 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

There is libre firmware being worked on, latest news say that it does
work but some features are not implemented. I have not tested that
firmware however.

There is a contest organized by RaptorCS to liberate the firmware:
https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/nic_fw_contest.php

And here's the ongoing work:

https://github.com/meklort/bcm5719-fw

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/BCM5719

An interesting thing to note is that 10Gbit network cards from the same
vendor (Broadcom) are implemented fully with hardware ASICs and do not
require firmware at all. So that's a work around to the problem. source:
developer of the libre firmware.

dftxbs3e