unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* EU NGI funding cut engagement opportunity
@ 2024-07-20 23:15 Juliana Sims
From: Juliana Sims @ 2024-07-20 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Greetings comrades,

As many of you are likely already aware, the European Union has
recently made plans to cut funding to its Next Generation Internet
(NGI) initiative which funds hundreds of FOSS projects, including many
related to Guix itself.  The current plan is to shift these funds into
artifical intelligence research.

Petites Singularités has started an open letter to call on the EU to
restore this funding.  I would very much support Guix signing onto it.
The document, and instructions for participating in this effort, can be
found here: https://pad.public.cat/lettre-NCP-NGI

For full disclosure, my work on the Shepherd is funded by NGI through
NLnet.  While my funding is secure, it would be a tragedy if the
opportunity which I have been given to build something really cool and
(I hope) revolutionary were denied to others.

In solidarity,
Juli

* Re: EU NGI funding cut engagement opportunity
@ 2024-07-21 10:10 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-07-21 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliana Sims, guix-devel

On 2024-07-21 01:15, Juliana Sims wrote:
> Greetings comrades,
>
> As many of you are likely already aware, the European Union has recently
> made plans to cut funding to its Next Generation Internet (NGI)
> initiative which funds hundreds of FOSS projects, including many related
> to Guix itself.  The current plan is to shift these funds into artifical
> intelligence research.
>
> Petites Singularités has started an open letter to call on the EU to
> restore this funding.  I would very much support Guix signing onto it.
> The document, and instructions for participating in this effort, can be
> found here: https://pad.public.cat/lettre-NCP-NGI
>
> For full disclosure, my work on the Shepherd is funded by NGI through
> NLnet.  While my funding is secure, it would be a tragedy if the
> opportunity which I have been given to build something really cool and
> (I hope) revolutionary were denied to others.
>
> In solidarity,
> Juli

I signed the open letter myself.
https://ekaitz.elenq.tech/

And we are discussing about writing something in Guix about this, too.

Thanks for pointing it out.

* Re: EU NGI funding cut engagement opportunity
@ 2024-07-21 12:20 ` indieterminacy
From: indieterminacy @ 2024-07-21 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juliana Sims; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2024-07-21 01:15, Juliana Sims wrote:
> Greetings comrades,
>
> As many of you are likely already aware, the European Union has
> recently made plans to cut funding to its Next Generation Internet
> (NGI) initiative which funds hundreds of FOSS projects, including many
> related to Guix itself.  The current plan is to shift these funds into
> artifical intelligence research.
>
> Petites Singularités has started an open letter to call on the EU to
> restore this funding.  I would very much support Guix signing onto it.
> The document, and instructions for participating in this effort, can be
> found here: https://pad.public.cat/lettre-NCP-NGI
>
> For full disclosure, my work on the Shepherd is funded by NGI through
> NLnet.  While my funding is secure, it would be a tragedy if the
> opportunity which I have been given to build something really cool and
> (I hope) revolutionary were denied to others.
>
> In solidarity,
> Juli

The building of resilient and decentralised protocol and server
technologies should be considered advantageous - if only as a matter of
soft power.

For example, here is a detailed breakdown of how Japan uses its cultural
assets as a form of soft diplomacy - to the extent that it is happy to
run investment funds at a loss:
https://yewtu.be/watch?v=IM2VIKfaY0Y

I felt that PS position seems correct.
I always thought the funds NGI has received was peanuts and a bargain
for the European project.

Id sign it but Im not sure whether independents are encouraged.
In any case, my (very) distinct informatics work progressed
significantly as a consequence of the funding and prestige from NLNet
(Icebreaker project).

One would think that, given the growing spectre of authoritarianism and
disinformation (that is exerting itself across many locations), that it
would be useful for people to be able to say in a sustainable way:
"I am here, this is who I am"

*rechecks EU election results*

Oh, FFS

* Re: EU NGI funding cut engagement opportunity
@ 2024-07-21 13:14   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-07-21 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Juliana Sims, guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hi!

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> skribis:

> On 2024-07-21 01:15, Juliana Sims wrote:
>> Greetings comrades,
>> As many of you are likely already aware, the European Union has
>> recently made plans to cut funding to its Next Generation Internet
>> (NGI) initiative which funds hundreds of FOSS projects, including
>> many related to Guix itself.  The current plan is to shift these
>> funds into artifical intelligence research.
>> Petites Singularités has started an open letter to call on the EU to
>> restore this funding.  I would very much support Guix signing onto
>> it. The document, and instructions for participating in this effort,
>> can be found here: https://pad.public.cat/lettre-NCP-NGI
>> For full disclosure, my work on the Shepherd is funded by NGI
>> through NLnet.  While my funding is secure, it would be a tragedy if
>> the opportunity which I have been given to build something really
>> cool and (I hope) revolutionary were denied to others.
>> In solidarity,
>> Juli
>
> I signed the open letter myself.
> https://ekaitz.elenq.tech/
>
> And we are discussing about writing something in Guix about this, too.

Yes.  We’re waiting for feedback from Guix maintainers but I think it
would make a lot of sense to publish the letter on the Guix blog.

As a reminder, Guix has directly benefited from several NGI-funded
projects, and indirectly with support for Mes, the RISC-V port of the
bootstrap chain, Shepherd/Spritely, and Guile.

Ludo’.

* Re: EU NGI funding cut engagement opportunity
@ 2024-07-23 17:43     ` Tobias Alexandra Platen
From: Tobias Alexandra Platen @ 2024-07-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Ekaitz Zarraga
  Cc: Juliana Sims, guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

I am a long time user of Guix and have been planning getting started
into GNU Mes (which I want to port to the PowerISA). So I'll sign the
open letter.