unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Japanese Input wont't without manually adding environmental variables?
@ 2020-11-07  6:46 yasu
From: yasu @ 2020-11-07  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!
After installing packages ibus and ibus-anthy , I thought I would be
able to type Japanese - but I had to follow the tip below and manually
add these variables to make it work.Would this be considered a bug?
https://www.mail-archive.com/help-guix@gnu.org/msg08282.html
export GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-
2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache" export
GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-
3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache"
Cheers,Yasu

* Re: Japanese Input wont't without manually adding environmental variables?
@ 2020-11-07  8:41 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2020-11-07  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yasu; +Cc: guix-devel

yasu <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> After installing packages ibus and ibus-anthy , I thought I would be able to type Japanese - but I had to follow the tip below and manually add these variables to make it work.
> Would this be considered a bug?

Yes, guix lack supports for input methods.

> https://www.mail-archive.com/help-guix@gnu.org/msg08282.html
>
> export GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache"
> export GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache"

For these kind of environment variables, we usually set them in
'.guix-profile/etc/profile' via 'native-search-paths' of a package.

But adding 'GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE' to the 'native-search-paths' of
'gtk+' is not good enough or won't solve this issue as we usually don't
install 'gtk+' into the profile.  I'd like to find another way set them,
could be add some code to '(guix profiles)' with the 'gtk-im-modules'
profile hook.  Need more thinking...

In the meantime, we have to set those environment variables manually..

* Re: Japanese Input wont't without manually adding environmental variables?
@ 2020-11-07  8:49   ` yasu
From: yasu @ 2020-11-07  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: guix-devel

I see..., thank you anyway!

I wonder if we can collect of this kind of usability tips in wiki-like
systems somewhere so we don't have to keep digging google for
information. 😃

I am very excited about Guix - I switched from Nix and I am not going
back!

-Yasu

@ 2020-11-07  9:23 Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2020-11-07  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yasu; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello, yasu

I recently submitted #44354, which would set GUIX_GTK*_IM_MODULE_FILE
from the system configuration.  Once this patch is merged, you should
be able to add ibus and ibus-anthy to your operating-system packages
and have them picked up from there by gnome.

Note, that this patch would as it is currently likely only set
GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE, because the gnome package does not contain
anything linked against gtk+-2.  If that is a concern, you can add an
application that does to it.  Mine currently looks like this:

```
  (package
    (inherit gnome)
    (propagated-inputs
     `(,@(package-propagated-inputs gnome)
       ;; IBus
       ("ibus" ,ibus)
       ("ibus-anthy" ,ibus-anthy)
       ;; World
       ("dconf-editor" ,dconf-editor)
       ("evolution" ,evolution)
       ("evolution-data-server" ,evolution-data-server)
       ("gitg" ,gitg)
       ("gnome-tweaks" ,gnome-tweaks)
       ("polari" ,polari)
       ("seahorse" ,seahorse))))
```

[As you can see, just ibus and a few more Gnome packages, but none
using Gtk+ 2.]

Best regards,
Leo

* Re: Japanese Input wont't without manually adding environmental variables?
@ 2020-11-07 10:43     ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2020-11-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yasu; +Cc: guix-devel

yasu <yasu@yasuaki.com> writes:

> I see..., thank you anyway!
>
> I wonder if we can collect of this kind of usability tips in wiki-like
> systems somewhere so we don't have to keep digging google for
> information. 😃

Well, I don't know if a guix wiki existed, but we have Guix Cookbook:
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/>, it's a info manual build from the guix
git repository, need to work on it more...

> I am very excited about Guix - I switched from Nix and I am not going
> back!

Me too, thank you!

* Re: Japanese Input wont't without manually adding environmental variables?
@ 2020-11-07 12:07 ` yasu
From: yasu @ 2020-11-07 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Leo,

Oh this looks like like exactly what I need!!

https://issues.guix.info/44354

Very much looking forward to this being picked up!!

Thank you so much!

-Yasu