unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GuixSD download options
@ 2017-03-20 19:18 pothos
From: pothos @ 2017-03-20 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

since the installation process is quite manual, takes long and ends in a
VM image for users who don't want to replace their current system, I
think there should be at least an option to download a tar file with the
content of a preconfigured root file system.
Then one could just extract it and run with systemd-nspawn -bD folder
(or if needed, use a new network device to support ssh if login with
machinectl is not enough).

Additonally a VM image would also be interesting.

Maybe this was already considered?

Regards,
Kai

* Re: GuixSD download options
@ 2017-03-21 16:37 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-21 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pothos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

pothos@riseup.net skribis:

> since the installation process is quite manual, takes long and ends in a
> VM image for users who don't want to replace their current system, I
> think there should be at least an option to download a tar file with the
> content of a preconfigured root file system.

The installation image is actually a full-blown GuixSD.  You can run
‘guix package’ in it, etc.

Granted, you’re probably looking for something more directly usable,
with Xorg and stuff.  We could publish such an image; the problem then
becomes disk space on the gnu.org servers.  ;-)

That said, it’s easy to build one for you even if you don’t run GuixSD:
you can install Guix on your distro, whichever it is, and from there use
‘guix system vm’ to build a GuixSD image.

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

Would that be helpful?

Ludo’.

* Re: GuixSD download options
@ 2017-03-21 17:28   ` pothos
From: pothos @ 2017-03-21 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,
thanks for the answer, the general idea is to have a something like a
tar.gz without initrd and kernel but with a working /sbin/init file.

Regards,
Kai