unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Adam Faiz <adam.faiz@disroot.org>
To: zimon.toutoune@gmail.com
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: package transformation and “guix graph”?
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 08:08:52 +0800	[thread overview]

Hello,

> Hi,
>
> Investigating « bug#62645: Failing `guix install gnash` » [1], I am a
> bit surprised:
>> The package rust-hmac needs to be rebuilt but it does not appear
> connected via “guix graph”.  Note that rust-hmac has no direct
> dependency and only the ones from the Rust build system.
>
> Similarly, the node ’gcc’ appears in the DAG of gnash:
>
> but then,

> $ guix graph --path gnash -e '(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc-11)' -t bag
> guix graph: error: no path from 'gnash@0.8.11-0.583ccbc' to 'gcc@11.3.0'
>
> And note that,

> $ guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc-11)' --no-grafts -d
> /gnu/store/rcd13s3lcd579s0l8v3awk4a6kbj8hvz-gcc-11.3.0.drv
> $ guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc-11)' -d
> /gnu/store/rcd13s3lcd579s0l8v3awk4a6kbj8hvz-gcc-11.3.0.drv
>
> the derivation does not match with the one reported by “guix graph”.
>

> Last, the package ’gcc’ appears in the graph of ’rust-hmac’ – which
> seems weird to me but why not:

> $ guix graph rust-hmac -t bag-emerged | grep label | grep gcc
>   "/gnu/store/wcx86bp6zcad2n2x5940dndhcksvfk5v-gcc-11.3.0.drv" [label =
> "gcc@11.3.0", shape = box, fontname = sans];
>
> and then again no path between rust-hmac and gcc.  Note the same
> derivation.
>

> What do I miss?
There's a long standing issue of rust packages not using inputs and native-inputs[1] because of how cargo-build-system works.
The WIP antioxidant-build-system[2] will properly address all the shortcomings currently in Guix's Rust packaging.

gcc-11 is an implicit input of gnu-build-system so it's still in the build graph.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53127
2: https://notabug.org/maximed/cargoless-rust-experiments