unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 11:19 Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

I created an awesome-guix list at
https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Please contribute new items by email with patches to
~lle-bout/awesome-guix-devel@lists.sr.ht! No promotion of proprietary
software please :-)

Léo

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 11:56 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Léo,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 12:19, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> I created an awesome-guix list at
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of awesome-guix?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 14:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-02-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Léo Le Bouter, Guix Devel

On 2021-02-09 12:56, zimoun wrote:
> Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of
> awesome-guix?

Same here!  This looks like an awesome list but the name doesn't do it
justice.

Another possible problematic word *if* you intend this as a Guix
community resource:
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem>.  Of
course, it's entirely up to you otherwise.

But mainly: thank you very much for compiling this list, Léo!  We've
been missing something like it, relying on tribal knowledge like
‘cbaines is working on a cool thing’.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 16:16   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 12:56 +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Léo,

Hello!
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 12:19, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I created an awesome-guix list at
> > https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
>
> Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of awesome-
> guix?

Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
projects get more exposure that way.

@ 2021-02-09 16:19     ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 15:19 +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> On 2021-02-09 12:56, zimoun wrote:
> > Sorry, I have probably missed the info: what is the aim of
> > awesome-guix?
>
> Same here!  This looks like an awesome list but the name doesn't do
> it
> justice.
>
> Another possible problematic word *if* you intend this as a Guix
> community resource:
> <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem>;.
> Of
> course, it's entirely up to you otherwise.

Oh okay, well it's just the title of the email, I didnt know about that
"Ecosystem" could misqualify communities. Do we use movement instead?
Fine by me!

> But mainly: thank you very much for compiling this list, Léo!  We've
> been missing something like it, relying on tribal knowledge like
> ‘cbaines is working on a cool thing’.

Yes! :-)

@ 2021-02-09 17:51     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:16, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
> some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
> able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
> know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
> projects get more exposure that way.

Thanks for the explanations.  I did not know.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 18:11       ` Bonface Munyoki K.
From: Bonface Munyoki K. @ 2021-02-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:16, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:
>
>> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
>> some topic or some software. This lists's purpose is for anyone to be
>> able to easily get up to speed with what exists instead of having to
>> know each and every one to find out by word of mouth. It also helps
>> projects get more exposure that way.
>
> Thanks for the explanations.  I did not know.

Also to add to what Léo mentioned, "awesome" lists
are a quick way to get up to speed to some things;
and IMHO are a sort of "gateway drug" to some
things. As an example, "awesome-guile"
(https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/awesome-guile/src/master/list.md)
has served me well to get resources that I'd
otherwise never find on my own.

It'd be nice to aggregate something similar for
GUIX.

PS: You find interesting things when you search
for awesome-<some-tool/stack>. Try it!

--
Bonface M. K. D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F
Humble GNU Emacs User / Bearer of scheme-y parens

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-09 18:25         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bonface Munyoki K.; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 19:11, Bonface Munyoki K. <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> wrote:

> Also to add to what Léo mentioned, "awesome" lists
> are a quick way to get up to speed to some things;

Yeah, I thought it was the idea behind the Cookbook.  :-)
Well, the bottleneck with this (whatever the name ;-)) is recruiting
people who puts some love in.  Maybe what Léo is proposing fits better
the contribution workflow.

Now, I am thinking about that, give a look at:

  <https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes>

Well, it is worth to add them and if someone volunteers, they need
some refresh. :-)

BTW, thanks for compiling curated materials.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-10 22:03 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> skribis:

> I created an awesome-guix list at
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix

Nice!  In the channels section, you could add Guix-Science, Guix-Past,
Guix-HPC, and perhaps a few others from <https://hpc.guix.info/about/>.
:-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-10 22:55   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-10 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 23:03 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,

Hello!

> Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> skribis:
>
> > I created an awesome-guix list at
> > https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
>
> Nice!  In the channels section, you could add Guix-Science, Guix-
> Past,
> Guix-HPC, and perhaps a few others from <
> https://hpc.guix.info/about/>;.
> :-)

Done! :-D

@ 2021-02-10 22:58 ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-10 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Tue, 2021-02-09 at 12:19 +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I created an awesome-guix list at
> https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/awesome-guix#awesome-guix
>
> Please contribute new items by email with patches to
> ~lle-bout/awesome-guix-devel@lists.sr.ht! No promotion of proprietary
> software please :-)
>
> Léo

I am willing to share maintainership of this list to make it more
durable.

If you are interested, you will need an account on https://sr.ht/ then
I can add you push rights.

Thank you!

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-13 11:32     ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2021-02-13 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 09.02.21 um 17:16 schrieb Léo Le Bouter:
> Commonly awesome lists are used to share links to all things related to
> some topic or some software

I wonder why not just calling it "Link list" then?  Thsi would be much
easier to understand for non-nerds.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Discover GNU Guix eco-system with awesome-guix!
@ 2021-02-14  0:27       ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2021-02-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution,
	Hartmut Goebel