unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Updating Packages
@ 2022-07-12 18:38 allan
From: allan @ 2022-07-12 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi there! I am new to software development, but I would like to contribute. I want to start by updating some rust packages to newer versions.<br>

So far I have just been making scheme files in a seperate directory and running "guix build -f $SCHEME_FILE". I am trying to follow the [guidlines in the manual](https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html), but git is still new to me and I am a little confused how to make this all work.

What should I do to get package builds to recognize the updates I make to dependencies?

* Re: Updating Packages
@ 2022-07-14 10:28 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
From: Munyoki Kilyungi @ 2022-07-14 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: allan; +Cc: guix-devel

allan <allroj978@gmail.com> anaandika:

> Hi there! I am new to software development, but I would like to contribute. I want to start by updating some rust packages to newer versions.<br>
>
> So far I have just been making scheme files in a seperate directory
> and running "guix build -f $SCHEME_FILE". I am trying to follow the
> [guidlines in the
> manual](https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html),
> but git is still new to me and I am a little confused how to make this
> all work.
>
> What should I do to get package builds to recognize the updates I make to dependencies?

Have a look at:
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging-Tutorial.html>
that has an in-depth take on packaging.  Once you
have a patch that you are ready to submit, follow
this:
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>.
HTH'ed.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
    but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Updating Packages
@ 2022-07-14 13:42   ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2022-07-14 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Munyoki Kilyungi, allan; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello both,

Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:
> Have a look at:
> <https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Packaging-Tutorial.html>
> that has an in-depth take on packaging.  Once you
> have a patch that you are ready to submit, follow
> this:
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html>.
> HTH'ed.

I'd just like to add that if at any point you'd like some help, there
are always people willing to provide some on IRC, or on the MLs.  No
stupid questions, just ask away!

Good luck,
--
Josselin Poiret