On 02-08-2022 07:21, mcsinyx@disroot.org wrote: > On Mon Aug 1, 2022 at 10:43 PM +0200, Mája Tomášek wrote: >> More realistic (imo) is that zig should be encouraged to build >> dynamically linked packages, not static ones, and allow the ability >> (with their future package manager) for the distribution to distribute >> it's libraries C-style. > Technically this is not always possible since Zig relies > on compile-time execution for generic. > I don't think this is a problem, as Guile has macros (*) yet it supports compilation (and shared libraries -- .go files are ELF shared libraries) -- macros are, in a sense, merely procedures that transform syntax into syntax, which can be compiled, and generics could be considered a special case of macros. Likewise, Rust has generics (and macros (*)) and its compiler does static compilation, so I don't see why it would be impossible for Zig to do static libraries. (Shared libraries might be harder, but you could just monomorphise generics in the 'user' of the shared library, so shared libraries appear technically possible to me as well.) (*) Including macros that can run arbitrary Rust code, see , so there you have compile-time execution too! Greetings, Maxime.