On Mon, 20 Dec 2021, zimoun wrote: > Hi, > > On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 23:07, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > >> Regarding nar-herder, I think it’d be nice to have a solution to >> mirroring in Guix proper, developed similarly to other components, >> because it could be a fairly central tool. >> >> ‘guix publish’ is probably not extensible enough to support that, but we >> could make it a new ‘guix mirror’ or ‘guix sync’ or whatever command. > > Why not extend “guix archive”? Hi all, I'm quite interested in learning more and potentially trying out the nar-herder! Some thoughts that I'd like to add to the design space: I think it would be great if one of the pastures to which we herd the nars would be a free and open source software mirror site. In my experience, these are usually some static web hosting in front of a large disk with a place to run scripts to sync the content. A database server may not be available. I'd like to support this use case because I think it is a great way to build bridges to the communities who run or gather around these mirrors. I'd also like the ability fetch nars directly from the local-to-me mirror rather than having them be proxied through a far way server. One of the things that I really like and find empowering about Guix is that the developer/system administration tools are as available, easy to use, and convenient as the every day tooling. To the extent possible, I think that we should strive to make our syncing/mirroring solution practical to run for local, small setups, and not require project-scale infrastructure or coordination between many programs that are not captured in a Guix service. Best, Jack