On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, Jack Hill wrote: > Hi Guix, > > I'm wondering why we use Lua 5.1 instead of LuaJIT for neovim? It seems that > upstream prefers LuaJIT given the non-default configure flag we use[0] and > their FAQ[1]. > > I don't have an opinion either way. I'm learning about neovim today, and am > curious how we arrived at our configuration. > > [0] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/vim.scm?id=96a655a77bb087397a9436391e472c36ff0a2ec2#n647 > [1] https://github.com/neovim/neovim/wiki/FAQ#why-embed-lua-instead-of-x > > Best, > Jack I've returned to the above question. With the attached patch, neovim builds on x86_64 and performs basic editing functions. I did not test it with any extra packages or plugins. In addition to what I said before, I'm also interested in LuaJIT because it supports the 5.1 language and still seems to be developed upstream. Lua is no longer developing the 5.1 series and the newer series have an incompatible language. A downside to using LuaJIT is that it doesn't support all the architectures that Guix supports [2]. In particular, it looks like aarch64 and ppc64el are missing. [2] https://luajit.org/install.html Best, Jack P.S. Maybe its time to work on the Lua language of Guile 😀