unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
@ 2020-06-12 22:32 Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-06-12 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello all,

I ran into an issue where the readline module isn't available for the
guile repl after installing `guile-readline`.  It can be replicated
via:

`echo "(use-modules (ice-9 readline))" | guix environment --pure guile
guile-readline -- guile`

So with that, I'm pretty sure it isn't just me.

* Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
@ 2020-06-13  4:11 ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-06-13  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020, Josh Marshall wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I ran into an issue where the readline module isn't available for the
> guile repl after installing `guile-readline`.  It can be replicated
> via:
>
> `echo "(use-modules (ice-9 readline))" | guix environment --pure guile
> guile-readline -- guile`
>
> So with that, I'm pretty sure it isn't just me.

I think you actually want to be using a different guix environment
command.

guix environment --pure --ad-hoc guile guile-readline

should get you what you want. The difference is that without --ad-hoc,
what you're asking for is an environment with all the dependencies of
guile and guile-readline. This is useful, for instance, if you want to
work on those packages. In this case, guile is available because
guile-readline depends on it, but nothing depends on guile-readline, so it
is not in the environment.

With --ad-hoc, you specify the the packages you want in the environment
explicitly.

See the manual [0] for more information and more advanced usage of
environment.

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-environment.html

This isn't the first time the --ad-hoc has caused confusion. I tend to use
that option more often than not. There was previous discussion [1] about
making environment more friendly to use interactively without breaking
compatibility, but more work is still needed on that front.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00126.html

Hope that helps,
Jack

* Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
@ 2020-06-13 15:31   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-06-13 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: guix-devel

The thing is that I want those dependencies in order to illustrate the bug
that the readline module for guile is not available.

@ 2020-06-13 19:09     ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-06-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020, Josh Marshall wrote:

> The thing is that I want those dependencies in order to illustrate the bug that the readline module for guile is not available.

In that case, I think you can get what you want with

guix environment --pure guile guile-readline --ad-hoc guile-readline

However, I'm beginning to think that I don't userstand your question. Can
you try asking again or perhaps someone else who sees what I'm missing can
answer.

Best,
Jack

* Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
@ 2020-07-25 14:55 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-07-25 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Marshall, guix-devel

Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I ran into an issue where the readline module isn't available for the
> guile repl after installing `guile-readline`.  It can be replicated
> via:
>
> `echo "(use-modules (ice-9 readline))" | guix environment --pure guile
> guile-readline -- guile`
>
> So with that, I'm pretty sure it isn't just me.

This is on a foreign distribution, right?

The '.guile' on Guix System has a trick that automatically loads
readline when available:

$ cat ~/.guile
(cond ((false-if-exception (resolve-interface '(ice-9 readline)))
       =>
       (lambda (module)
         ;; Enable completion and input history at the REPL.
         ((module-ref module 'activate-readline))))
      (else
       (display "Consider installing the 'guile-readline' package for
convenient interactive line editing and input history.\n\n")))

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guile-readline bug -- readline module not available
@ 2020-07-25 16:18   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-07-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel