unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 14:25 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-08 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:

* http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
* http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png

I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 14:41 ` David Thompson
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: David Thompson @ 2015-02-08 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo, guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png

These are really great!  I really like the GuixSD logo.  These should
not go unused, IMO.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 16:15 ` Mark H Weaver
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-02-08 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing these!

I really like the GuixSD logo a _lot_.  Your Guix logo is nicely done,
but it reminds me too much of Ubuntu's logo.

> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
> GuixSD, though.

I'd be quite tempted to use your GuixSD logo.  It's really just a
question of whether we want to promote GuixSD as a public brand or to
consider it more of an internal code name.  I haven't thought much about
it, so I'll let others decide.

> I just wanted to share anyways.

Thanks very much!

     Mark

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 18:47   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-08 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

El dom, 08-02-2015 a las 11:15 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> I'd be quite tempted to use your GuixSD logo.  It's really just a
> question of whether we want to promote GuixSD as a public brand or to
> consider it more of an internal code name.  I haven't thought much about
> it, so I'll let others decide.

I was in favor of the code name approach before, but after the
discussion about the name of the distro ended, I don't know... I'm
wondering how to present GuixSD in the future to the average Jane. Right
now, I think it would be easier if GuixSD had its own image (not GNU's
wildebeest head and related artwork) and its own website (not a page
framed with gnu.org's header and footer).

I don't know.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 18:48   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-08 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: guix-devel

El dom, 08-02-2015 a las 09:41 -0500, David Thompson escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
> > I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
> >
> > * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> > * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>
> These are really great!  I really like the GuixSD logo.  These should
> not go unused, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, David. Glad you liked them :)

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-08 19:11 ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2015-02-08 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Em Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:25:49 -0500
Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png

Congratulations Luis, those are incredibly beautiful logos.  The
beauty of simplicity in GuixSD's logo amazes me.

Pondering about Guix's logo, I wonder why not complete the cube with
the missing green and gray sides.  I think my concept of beauty is
intrinsically linked to symmetry. :-P

IMHO, Guix should drop its logo and use none at all.  It seems to me
that its current logo was originally conceived not for the package
manager by itself but for the resultant distribution, as the original
subtitle (now removed) "The GNU System" suggests.

On the other hand I think that the GuixSD's logo you made should be
adopted; specially that one with orange head, bright text and dark
background.

Thank you very much for your work!

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-08 20:01 ` Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer @ 2015-02-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>
> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
> GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.

Those are pretty amazing; so much that it now genuinely pains me to
think we should stay away from branding "GuixSD". :-)

Reasons:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2015-01/msg00073.html

I hope I'm wrong!

Taylan

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-09 11:29   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-09 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: taylanbayirli; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-08 17:01, taylanbayirli@gmail.com wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>>
>> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
>> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>>
>> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
>> GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.
>
> Those are pretty amazing; so much that it now genuinely pains me to
> think we should stay away from branding "GuixSD". :-)
>
> Reasons:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2015-01/msg00073.html
>
> I hope I'm wrong!
>
> Taylan
Congratulation for the beautiful logo!

I send my proposal too in attach.

the hexagonon is the Free Software Moviment, and the RGB colors the
community and society free.

I did with Inkscape with font Sans-serif.

Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

[-- Attachment #2: guixsd.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 62280 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: guixsd.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 41579 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: guixsd.svg --]
[-- Type: image/svg+xml, Size: 7047 bytes --]

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-09 12:37     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-02-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pimentel; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

Hello!

I like all logos I have seen so far, but as Taylan I think we should not
brand GSD too much and stay as close as we can to the GNU brand.

And send more packages - I have the impression our rate slowed down since
we reached the 1000 packages milestone ;-)

Andreas

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-09 15:36       ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2015-02-09 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Daniel Pimentel
  Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

> I like all logos I have seen so far, but as Taylan I think we should not
> brand GSD too much and stay as close as we can to the GNU brand

Luis GSD logo is really close to GNU branding. Looks more modern. Maybe it
should use the same colors?

On Mon Feb 09 2015 at 1:38:01 PM Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I like all logos I have seen so far, but as Taylan I think we should not
> brand GSD too much and stay as close as we can to the GNU brand.
>
> And send more packages - I have the impression our rate slowed down since
> we reached the 1000 packages milestone ;-)
>
> Andreas

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-09 22:35 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-09 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>
> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
> GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.

I’m very impressed by both, I like them!

It raises the two questions you mention.  I sympathize both with what
you wrote before and your current hesitation wrt. branding.

I need to think more (and read more what others think) but yeah, why not
a GuixSD logo.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-10 11:07   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-10 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-09 19:35, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>>
>> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
>> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>>
>> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
>> GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.
>
> I’m very impressed by both, I like them!
>
> It raises the two questions you mention.  I sympathize both with what
> you wrote before and your current hesitation wrt. brxanding.
>
> I need to think more (and read more what others think) but yeah, why
> not
> a GuixSD logo.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Ludo’.
Thank you Guix team (users, developers and others) for great work :)
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-02-10 12:51 ` Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2015-02-10 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
>
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
>
> I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
> GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.

Very nice. Just I am not sure why to change the existing Guix logo.
IMHO Guix and GSD need a symbols/icon - it is good for orientation.

And here is and asciiart version :)

(_  _)
   \/
GuixSD

> --
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo

Adam Pribyl

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-10 14:46   ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

El lun, 09-02-2015 a las 23:35 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
> > I made some logos for Guix and GuixSD:
> >
> > * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/Guix.png
> > * http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/GuixSD.png
> >
> > I understand if you prefer using the current Guix logo and no logo for
> > GuixSD, though. I just wanted to share anyways.
>
> I’m very impressed by both, I like them!
>
> It raises the two questions you mention.  I sympathize both with what
> you wrote before and your current hesitation wrt. branding.

What worries me about staying close to the GNU branding is that it could
create the confusion RMS wants to avoid (people thinking that GuixSD is
*the* GNU OS and GNU's head its logo). He even suggested having a logo
for Guix and GuixSD [1][2]. So I think it would be better to play it
safe and avoid any conflict within the GNU Project. We can still
emphasise the close relationship between GuixSD and the GNU Project, and
hence the proposal of a wildebeest head as the logo for GuixSD too.

> I need to think more (and read more what others think) but yeah, why not
> a GuixSD logo.

No problem. Take your time.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, and d4n1 for the alternative logo.

[1]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2015-01/msg00078.html
[2]
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2015-01/msg00079.html

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo

@ 2015-02-11 21:23     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> What worries me about staying close to the GNU branding is that it could
> create the confusion RMS wants to avoid (people thinking that GuixSD is
> *the* GNU OS and GNU's head its logo). He even suggested having a logo
> for Guix and GuixSD [1][2]. So I think it would be better to play it
> safe and avoid any conflict within the GNU Project. We can still
> emphasise the close relationship between GuixSD and the GNU Project, and
> hence the proposal of a wildebeest head as the logo for GuixSD too.

Yes, makes sense.

So, let’s use this GuixSD logo!

To begin with, I think we could use it in the GRUB and/or SLiM
backgrounds.  WDYT?

Then we’ll want to use it on the web site somehow, but the current
“site” is really just one page, and it would seem odd to have the two
logos upfront on the same page.

Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet our
needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?

Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand I
like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
change.

Thanks again!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12  3:12       ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-12  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

El mié, 11-02-2015 a las 22:23 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
> > What worries me about staying close to the GNU branding is that it could
> > create the confusion RMS wants to avoid (people thinking that GuixSD is
> > *the* GNU OS and GNU's head its logo). He even suggested having a logo
> > for Guix and GuixSD [1][2]. So I think it would be better to play it
> > safe and avoid any conflict within the GNU Project. We can still
> > emphasise the close relationship between GuixSD and the GNU Project, and
> > hence the proposal of a wildebeest head as the logo for GuixSD too.
>
> Yes, makes sense.
>
> So, let’s use this GuixSD logo!
>
> To begin with, I think we could use it in the GRUB and/or SLiM
> backgrounds.  WDYT?

Yes, I'll work on that.

> Then we’ll want to use it on the web site somehow, but the current
> “site” is really just one page, and it would seem odd to have the two
> logos upfront on the same page.

Yes. No need to put the logo right now in the current page.

> Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
> and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
> gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
> solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet our
> needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
> the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
>
> Thoughts?  Volunteers?

While a place for the website is found, I can work on some mock-ups, if
that's OK.

> Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand I
> like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
> change.

No problem.

> Thanks again!

Glad to help :)

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12  8:42         ` Pierre-Antoine Rault
From: Pierre-Antoine Rault @ 2015-02-12  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Le mercredi 11 février 2015 à 22:12 -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo a
écrit :

> > Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
> > and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
> > gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
> > solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet our
> > needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
> > the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Volunteers?
> >

> While a place for the website is found, I can work on some mock-ups, if
> that's OK.

A VM has been obtained at my university for the Guix build farm. It can
be used for web hosting as well.

As for the mock-ups, if I can be of any help tell me, Luis.

rigelk -

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12 11:55       ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-11 18:23, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
>> What worries me about staying close to the GNU branding is that it
>> could
>> create the confusion RMS wants to avoid (people thinking that GuixSD
>> is
>> *the* GNU OS and GNU's head its logo). He even suggested having a logo
>> for Guix and GuixSD [1][2]. So I think it would be better to play it
>> safe and avoid any conflict within the GNU Project. We can still
>> emphasise the close relationship between GuixSD and the GNU Project,
>> and
>> hence the proposal of a wildebeest head as the logo for GuixSD too.
>
> Yes, makes sense.
>
> So, let’s use this GuixSD logo!
>
> To begin with, I think we could use it in the GRUB and/or SLiM
> backgrounds.  WDYT?
>
> Then we’ll want to use it on the web site somehow, but the current
> “site” is really just one page, and it would seem odd to have the two
> logos upfront on the same page.
>
> Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
> and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
> gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
> solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet
> our
> needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
> the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
>
> Thoughts?  Volunteers?
>
> Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand
> like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
> change.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Ludo’.
I like Guix logo (I did sticker and paste in my computers :) and I think
that should not change, but maybe to GuixSD could change or not. I like
for idea to universal Guix logo to "package manager" and "OS". What do
you think about name GuixOS?

Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12 20:12         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> El mié, 11-02-2015 a las 22:23 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:

[...]

>> Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
>> and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
>> gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
>> solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet our
>> needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
>> the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Volunteers?
>>

> While a place for the website is found, I can work on some mock-ups, if
> that's OK.

Your help is definitely welcome, as always!

Perhaps I wasn’t clear: the web site would remain at gnu.org, just
possibly without the standard gnu.org server-side includes and CSS.

(I’m not saying we *must* get rid of the SSIs and CSS; I’m just saying
you or whoever else wants to work on the web site can feel free to do
whatever they deem appropriate in that regard.)

>> Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand I
>> like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
>> change.
>>

> No problem.

I will listen to the vox populi anyway.  :-)

Thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12 20:35         ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-12 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pimentel; +Cc: guix-devel

El jue, 12-02-2015 a las 08:55 -0300, Daniel Pimentel escribió:
> On 2015-02-11 18:23, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> > Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
> >
> >> What worries me about staying close to the GNU branding is that it
> >> could
> >> create the confusion RMS wants to avoid (people thinking that GuixSD
> >> is
> >> *the* GNU OS and GNU's head its logo). He even suggested having a logo
> >> for Guix and GuixSD [1][2]. So I think it would be better to play it
> >> safe and avoid any conflict within the GNU Project. We can still
> >> emphasise the close relationship between GuixSD and the GNU Project,
> >> and
> >> hence the proposal of a wildebeest head as the logo for GuixSD too.
> >
> > Yes, makes sense.
> >
> > So, let’s use this GuixSD logo!
> >
> > To begin with, I think we could use it in the GRUB and/or SLiM
> > backgrounds.  WDYT?
> >
> > Then we’ll want to use it on the web site somehow, but the current
> > “site” is really just one page, and it would seem odd to have the two
> > logos upfront on the same page.
> >
> > Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
> > and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
> > gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
> > solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet
> > our
> > needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
> > the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Volunteers?
> >
> > Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand
> > like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
> > change.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Ludo’.
> I like Guix logo (I did sticker and paste in my computers :) and I think
> that should not change, but maybe to GuixSD could change or not. I like
> for idea to universal Guix logo to "package manager" and "OS". What do
> you think about name GuixOS?
>
> Thanks,

If GuixSD is the final name for the distro, I attached a logo to replace
the one currently used on the List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions. If
not, tell me and I'll make any necessary changes.

[-- Attachment #2: GuixSD.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7088 bytes --]

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-12 20:44           ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2015-02-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
  Cc: guix-devel, guix-devel-bounces+d4n1=opmbx.org

On 2015-02-12 17:35, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
> El jue, 12-02-2015 a las 08:55 -0300, Daniel Pimentel escribió:
>> On 2015-02-11 18:23, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
>> > Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

>> > Yes, makes sense.
>> >
>> > So, let’s use this GuixSD logo!
>> >
>> > To begin with, I think we could use it in the GRUB and/or SLiM
>> > backgrounds.  WDYT?
>> >
>> > Then we’ll want to use it on the web site somehow, but the current
>> > “site” is really just one page, and it would seem odd to have the two
>> > logos upfront on the same page.
>> >
>> > Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
>> > and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
>> > gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
>> > solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet
>> > our
>> > needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
>> > the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?  Volunteers?
>> >
>> > Lastly, I’m not sure what to do about the main Guix logo.  On one hand
>> > like the one you propose, but on the other I’m a bit reluctant to
>> > change.
>> >
>> > Thanks again!
>> >
>> > Ludo’.
>> I like Guix logo (I did sticker and paste in my computers :) and I
>> think
>> that should not change, but maybe to GuixSD could change or not. I
>> like
>> for idea to universal Guix logo to "package manager" and "OS". What do
>> you think about name GuixOS?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> If GuixSD is the final name for the distro, I attached a logo to
> replace
> the one currently used on the List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions. If
> not, tell me and I'll make any necessary changes.
I like it, simple, representative and beautiful.
--
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-13  9:23           ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]             ` <1423849114.3419.5.camel@openmailbox.org>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel, Daniel Pimentel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> If GuixSD is the final name for the distro, I attached a logo to replace
> the one currently used on the List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions. If
> not, tell me and I'll make any necessary changes.

Since <http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html> refers to our
software/guix/graphics directory, could you first add the GuixSD logo to
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/> in a way similar to what is
done with the other one?  (See Source Code -> Use CVS at
<http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix>, or drop by on IRC if you have
any problems.)

Then we’ll just send them the link.

For the list, I wonder which of the vertical or the horizontal variant
would fit best or would be most appropriate.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-13 14:02           ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

El jue, 12-02-2015 a las 21:12 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
> > El mié, 11-02-2015 a las 22:23 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Thus, the first step would be to come up with a multi-page site (yay!)
> >> and with appropriate style.  That probably means departing from the
> >> gnu.org style sheets and server-side includes.  This is not an ideal
> >> solution, but it easier than trying to adjust all of gnu.org to meet our
> >> needs.  I would hope that whoever takes up this task communicates with
> >> the gnu.org webmasters in an effort to collaborate in the longer run.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?  Volunteers?
> >>

> > While a place for the website is found, I can work on some mock-ups, if
> > that's OK.
>
> Your help is definitely welcome, as always!
>
> Perhaps I wasn’t clear: the web site would remain at gnu.org, just
> possibly without the standard gnu.org server-side includes and CSS.
>
> (I’m not saying we *must* get rid of the SSIs and CSS; I’m just saying
> you or whoever else wants to work on the web site can feel free to do
> whatever they deem appropriate in that regard.)

OK. Pierre-Antoine (rigelk) and I will work on the website.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
       [not found]             ` <1423849114.3419.5.camel@openmailbox.org>
@ 2015-02-13 22:52               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-02-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe López Acevedo; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> El vie, 13-02-2015 a las 10:23 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
>> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>>
>> > If GuixSD is the final name for the distro, I attached a logo to replace
>> > the one currently used on the List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions. If
>> > not, tell me and I'll make any necessary changes.
>>
>> Since <http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html> refers to our
>> software/guix/graphics directory, could you first add the GuixSD logo to
>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/> in a way similar to what is
>> done with the other one?  (See Source Code -> Use CVS at
>> <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix>, or drop by on IRC if you have
>> any problems.)
>>

> Done. I added both, vertical and horizontal versions of the logo.

Great.  Could add them to graphics/index.html as well?

>> Then we’ll just send them the link.
>>
>> For the list, I wonder which of the vertical or the horizontal variant
>> would fit best or would be most appropriate.  What are your thoughts?
>>

> Well, both look fine to me. I'll let you decide. See the attached
> screenshots for comparison :)

Yeah, the vertical one seems like the right strategy.  ;-)
I’ll email Joshua to update the free-distro list.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ART] Logo proposal
@ 2015-02-14  3:43                 ` Luis Felipe López Acevedo
From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo @ 2015-02-14  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

El vie, 13-02-2015 a las 23:52 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:
>
> > El vie, 13-02-2015 a las 10:23 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> >> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <felipe.lopez@openmailbox.org> skribis:

> >> Since <http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html> refers to our
> >> software/guix/graphics directory, could you first add the GuixSD logo to
> >> <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/> in a way similar to what is
> >> done with the other one?  (See Source Code -> Use CVS at
> >> <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guix>, or drop by on IRC if you have
> >> any problems.)
> >>

> > Done. I added both, vertical and horizontal versions of the logo.
>
> Great.  Could add them to graphics/index.html as well?

Done. The SVG has all available variations of the logo (vertical,
horizontal, black & white).