unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-10 19:57 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-01-10 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Hello,

I've pushed a version-1.4.0 branch refresh that tackled a few issues:

- #52269 (sitecustomize.py: Honor .pth files.)
- #52574 (glib: Fix cross-compilation.)
- #52411 (gnu: pciutils: Fix the conditional for the kmod input.)
- #52519 (gnu: glibmm-2.64: Fix libsigc++ propagation.)

Since touching sitecustomize.py was a world rebuilding change, I've
squeezed a few items picked from our guix-patches tracker or newly
authored, such as:

- update meson to 0.60.3 and undo workarounds introduced for
  0.60.2.
- update python to 3.9.9
- update cmake to 3.21.4
- update mesa to 21.3.2
- absorb binutils-next into binutils

and more!

You can find the changes introduced in the branch by issuing git log
'origin/master..origin/version-1.4.0'.

If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
a first RC.

We'll also need to write the website materials such as the release blog
post and edit that NEWS file with the most noteworthy changes that have
gone into this release since 1.3.0.

Thank you!

Maxim

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-10 21:36 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-01-10 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
> for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
> then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
> a first RC.

I’ve got some world rebuilding changes in wip-texlive.  I intended to
add more, but they could be merged right now.  They fix broken font
search in pdflatex, xelatex, and lualatex.

--
Ricardo

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-11  0:31   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-01-11  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
>> for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
>> then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
>> a first RC.
>
> I’ve got some world rebuilding changes in wip-texlive.  I intended to
> add more, but they could be merged right now.  They fix broken font
> search in pdflatex, xelatex, and lualatex.

OK!  I've reviewed what's in wip-texlive, and it LGTM!  Feel free to
rebase the branch on top of version-1.4.0 and then merge into it.  I
don't intend to rewrite the branch at this point, so we can collaborate
on it.

The CI hasn't yet been switched on to build the branch yet; let's give a
bit more time for other changes like this to have a chance to be
considered/merged and then switch it on!  Perhaps Wednesday.

@ 2022-01-11  4:48     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2022-01-11  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 07:31:45PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> The CI hasn't yet been switched on to build the branch yet; let's give a
> bit more time for other changes like this to have a chance to be
> considered/merged and then switch it on!  Perhaps Wednesday.

It seems risky to me to put world-rebuilding changes on the release
branch, because we won't have time to squash the bugs that inevitably
appear after deployment before releasing.

However, what do you think about also adding a fix for #53005,
"cryptsetup-static aborts opening LUKS2 volume with Argon2i PBKDF"? The
proposed fix changes glibc:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53005

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-11  9:05       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-01-11  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel, Maxim Cournoyer

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 07:31:45PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> The CI hasn't yet been switched on to build the branch yet; let's give a
>> bit more time for other changes like this to have a chance to be
>> considered/merged and then switch it on!  Perhaps Wednesday.
>
> It seems risky to me to put world-rebuilding changes on the release
> branch, because we won't have time to squash the bugs that inevitably
> appear after deployment before releasing.

In general I agree.

I’d just like to clarify that wip-texlive only contains safe changes.
Font discovery is currently broken in the modular TeX Live and that
branch merely corrects this.  It’s world-rebuilding because almost
everything needs some part of texlive at build time.

--
Ricardo

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-11 10:39 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2022-01-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 02:57:09PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
> for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
> then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
> a first RC.

I have a change for the patch for libtool, I'll push it very soon.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-11 10:50   ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-01-11 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner, Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Efraim Flashner schreef op di 11-01-2022 om 12:39 [+0200]:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 02:57:09PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> > If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
> > for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
> > then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
> > a first RC.

The fix for a non-deterministic test suite failure in Guile:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48389#11

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-13 17:31     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-01-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> Efraim Flashner schreef op di 11-01-2022 om 12:39 [+0200]:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 02:57:09PM -0500, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> > If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
>> > for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
>> > then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
>> > a first RC.
>
> The fix for a non-deterministic test suite failure in Guile:
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48389#11

That one slipped :-/.  Sorry!  I should have checked my emails more
carefully before turning on the switch in Cuirass yesterday.

@ 2022-01-17  4:43       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2022-01-17  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, Mathieu Othacehe, guix-maintainers

Hi Maxim,

I've CC'd Mathieu on this email because he sent an email recently asking
for help with the 1.4.0 release, and Ludo because he was working on bug
52752.

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Maxime,
>
> Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
>
>> Efraim Flashner schreef op di 11-01-2022 om 12:39 [+0200]:
>>
>> The fix for a non-deterministic test suite failure in Guile:
>> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48389#11
>
> That one slipped :-/.  Sorry!  I should have checked my emails more
> carefully before turning on the switch in Cuirass yesterday.

On aarch64-linux, on master, bug 52943 prevents the "guix" package from
building successfully.  I've committed a fix for this on the master
branch in commit 24c3485bb3ffc05e687ef6513ac287b8d3048bab.  However, I
haven't yet updated the "guix" package, since Ludo mentioned here that
he wanted to update the "guix" package to include a different fix (for
bug 52752), but I'm not sure that he's done that yet:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52752#2

I figured we could coordinate and update the "guix" package at the right
time, all at once.

It would be good to ensure that the "guix" package builds successfully
on aarch64-linux for the 1.4.0 release.  Therefore, I'd like to get the
fix for 52943 included in the version-1.4.0 branch, but I don't want to
step on anyone's toes.  What can I do to get the fix included in the
release?

--
Chris

PGP: https://savannah.gnu.org/people/viewgpg.php?user_id=106836

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: version-1.4.0 branch updated
@ 2022-01-18  5:16         ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-01-18  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel, Mathieu Othacehe, guix-maintainers

Hello again!

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> On aarch64-linux, on master, bug 52943 prevents the "guix" package from
> building successfully.  I've committed a fix for this on the master
> branch in commit 24c3485bb3ffc05e687ef6513ac287b8d3048bab.  However, I
> haven't yet updated the "guix" package, since Ludo mentioned here that
> he wanted to update the "guix" package to include a different fix (for
> bug 52752), but I'm not sure that he's done that yet:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52752#2

It seems there may be more to fix for Guix to build on i686, according
to the above (Denis reported 3 failures in their latest attempt).

> I figured we could coordinate and update the "guix" package at the right
> time, all at once.

Sounds like a good idea!

> It would be good to ensure that the "guix" package builds successfully
> on aarch64-linux for the 1.4.0 release.  Therefore, I'd like to get the
> fix for 52943 included in the version-1.4.0 branch, but I don't want to
> step on anyone's toes.  What can I do to get the fix included in the
> release?

There have been many smaller integration fixes coming after the
version-1.4.0 merge of today; I guess we should recreate the
version-1.4.0 when we deem we're ready for an RC or when the need
arises.

I've deleted it now to avoid confusion, and will diffuse a message about
it on guix-devel.  We can work on stabilizing master some more while
also getting the dist machinery ready.

I guess when the times come ripe for the first RC we can recreate the
release branch.

Thanks,

@ 2022-01-18 14:52 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, guix-maintainers

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

> If nobody has another world rebuilding change deemed necessary in time
> for the release, I suggest we enable substitutes on the branch soon, and
> then get busy trying to get 'make dist' to succeed so that we can issue
> a first RC.

One thing to look at is “make assert-binaries-available”.

Currently, we’re at 83% on ‘master’:

$ ./pre-inst-env  guix weather -m etc/release-manifest.scm --substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.gnu.org
computing 406 package derivations for x86_64-linux...
looking for 519 store items on https://ci.guix.gnu.org...
https://ci.guix.gnu.org
  82.7% substitutes available (429 out of 519)
  at least 3,518.4 MiB of nars (compressed)
  4,433.1 MiB on disk (uncompressed)
  0.483 seconds per request (0.5 seconds in total)
  2.1 requests per second

  0.0% (0 out of 90) of the missing items are queued
  at least 1,000 queued builds
      aarch64-linux: 700 (70.0%)
      powerpc64le-linux: 261 (26.1%)
      x86_64-linux: 38 (3.8%)
      i686-linux: 1 (.1%)
  build rate: 72.54 builds per hour
      i686-linux: 29.81 builds per hour
      x86_64-linux: 37.58 builds per hour
      powerpc64le-linux: 33.64 builds per hour

Ludo’.