unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: [Feature idea] Adding wikidata, wikipedia & screenshot-url fields to package-recipes
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:44:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi

I am a contributor to OSM and have seen how combining OSM and
Wikidata/Wikipedia (WP) has been very useful.

I got the idea of adding Wikidata-entries to guix package objecs would
be fruitful because:

It makes it possible to a more useful list of packages e.g. by showing
links to WP entries for the program in the users local language. (E.g.
by firing up a browser from emacs or the shell, or by populating a (per
channel) html package list (with screenshots, local WP-links, etc.) and
firing up a throw-away web-server instance serving this with e.g. /guix
package --list-available-packages-html)/

It would also perhaps be of benefit to WP-contributors because we could
easily make statistics for how many of the packages in guix a
Wikidata-entry and/or WP-entry exists. Thus perhaps leading to creating
of more articles for notable packages or improving WP-articles with
outdated release information.

*Implementation:*

It could be implemented by adding the fields to package-objects.

The rationale for adding screenshot-url to the recipe is that this
parsing of wikidata->en-WP->url-for-first-image for every package in our
list is quite expensive. Better to do it once and perhaps update all the
screenshot-urls once a year or so.

The rationale for adding WP (list of Wikipeidas with an article in the
wikidata entry, e.g. ("en" "sv" "es") to the recipe is that this parsing
of wikidata->WP for every package in our list is quite expensive. Better
to do it once and perhaps update  once a year or so.

Also to help us to associate new and existing packages with
wikidata-entries we could devise a guile-programmed way to associate
wikidata-entries to existing package objects and perhaps use this to
populate new package-recipes created with /guix import/

Guix would then be the first package manager to both be completely free
of proprietary software and to leverage knowledge from Wikidata and WP.

What do you think?

/Cheers/
Swedebugia

PS: we could further improve our recipes by adding fields like "release
date" either via guix import from upstream or by populating from WP.
This would make it easy for WP-contributors to track when new releases
happen and perhaps with a script automatically update WP-articles based
on our recipes when we have newer information.

PPS: Perhaps over time it will even be feasible for WP to use our
synopsis/descriptions somehow. This would enable us to integrate
descriptions and translations for programs. E.g. a WP-contributor sees
that an article in spanish for program x does not yet exist in es.WP but
a translated synopsis and description already exists in Guix.