Liliana Marie Prikler schreef op do 05-05-2022 om 18:31 [+0200]: > > I am not debating any legitimacy ( is not some > > government), I am discussing the reasons, and whether some of the > > features (e.g. faster profile building) can be implemented more > > generally (not Guix Home-exclusive), without manual configuration. > I think you're misunderstanding cause and effect here.  For small n, > O(n) = O(1). I'm not sure what you mean here, what cause and what effect are you referring to here? And I'm not sure what the connection between ‘for small n, O(n) = O(1)’ and the previous sentences is (I guess something about profile building times and small profiles -> fast building, but I don't see any connection to cause and effect ...)? > If some reasons remain (e.g. tidyness of separated thematic > profiles), _those_ reasons could be a good reason for > or the like. What I'd like to avoid, is avoiding extra complexity > for the wrong reasons, and only adding it for the right reasons. > To reiterate, the primary reason for using Guix Home to manage > multiple profiles is so that we can manage multiple profiles in a > declarative manner. Multiple profiles can already be managed in a declarative manner: "guix shell -m manifest.scm".  I'd say that Guix Home adds some impurity (‘guix home reconfigure’ installs/removes/replaces some symlinks in $HOME, which is a form of mutation). Though maybe some people want to keep all their manifests together and don't mind the little extra mutation? Greetings, Maxime.