unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
To: "Vincent Legoll" <vincent.legoll@gmail.com>,
	"Vagrant Cascadian" <vagrant@debian.org>,
	"Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org, guix-sysadmin <guix-sysadmin@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Sustainable funding and maintenance for our infrastructure
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 12:33:30 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Tomas,

Am Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 11:47:38AM +0200 schrieb Tomas Volf:
> First 10 TB / Month		$0.09 per GB
> Next 40 TB / Month		$0.09 per GB
> Next 100 TB / Month		$0.07 per GB
> Greater than 150 TB / Month	$0.05 per GB

thanks for providing concrete figures!

I will continue without concrete figures and just back-of-the-envelope
computations. If I remember well (this is the very unconcrete point),
our throughput for bayfront at Aquilenet is about 100Mb/s. Some of it
is between bayfront and the bordeaux build machines (so would not count
if everything were in the same cloud), some of it is serving users (and
could stay on bayfront without being counted). After a complete
optimisation, every package would have to be transferred once out of the
cloud to the user facing server, while keeping all packages that are still
needed as inputs additionally in the cloud. I do not know how much this
would be; given that ideally every commit series should go through QA,
I think it could end up being quite a lot.

100Mb/s amounts to 32TB/month, which would cost about 3000€.

Compared to hosting, this is completely outrageous - notice that right
now at Aquilenet, we pay 75€ for one machine and not really limited
bandwidth.

After discussion with people at Aquilenet, I think it would be reasonable
to assume (no guarantee, also from a back-of-the-envelope computation)
we would need to pay about 100€/month for every additional 1U-machine we
would like to host in their rack. A small part of it is the rack space,
another small part the additional bandwidth, and the main part the
electricity cost. (Thus the estimate of 3000€/month for 30 machines.)

Andreas