unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-04  8:19 Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-06-04  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi,

We're looking for speakers - of any level - to give talks at the Guix online meetup. We're a small, friendly group at all levels of experience. Talks can be about anything Guix associated, for example:

- Experiences using or learning Guix
- Particular commands or capabilities - deploying VM's, building a desktop etc
- Using the declarative configuration approach
- Packaging or creating system services
- Something mad, interesting or curious!

Whatever it is, we'd love to hear it!

We've had recent talks by Ludo [0] and David Wilson (System crafters) [1]. We have an upcoming talk on June 18th by David Thompson [2] who will be talking about Guile, Guix and his work on Guile Hoot. And, on July 11th Vagrant Cascadian will be talking about reproducibility and Guix. After that ...

Just to repeat - talks can be any length (10-20-45 mins), and at any level :-)

Thanks,

Steve / Futurile

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339dRDf4c6E
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINCgds-8kA
[2] https://dthompson.us/ - register here https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-04 10:13 ` Divya
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Divya @ 2024-06-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 4 June 2024 08:19:10 GMT, Steve George <steve@futurile.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We're looking for speakers - of any level - to give talks at the Guix online meetup. We're a small, friendly group at all levels of experience. Talks can be about anything Guix associated, for example:
>
>- Experiences using or learning Guix
>- Particular commands or capabilities - deploying VM's, building a desktop etc
>- Using the declarative configuration approach
>- Packaging or creating system services
>- Something mad, interesting or curious!
>
>Whatever it is, we'd love to hear it!
>
>We've had recent talks by Ludo [0] and David Wilson (System crafters) [1]. We have an upcoming talk on June 18th by David Thompson [2] who will be talking about Guile, Guix and his work on Guile Hoot. And, on July 11th Vagrant Cascadian will be talking about reproducibility and Guix. After that ...
>
>Just to repeat - talks can be any length (10-20-45 mins), and at any level :-)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve / Futurile
>
>[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339dRDf4c6E
>[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINCgds-8kA
>[2] https://dthompson.us/ - register here https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

Hello Steve,

I couldn't really find any registration process on https://dthompson.us

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-04 11:05 ` Nils Landt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nils Landt @ 2024-06-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

> Steve George <steve@futurile.net> hat am 04.06.2024 10:19 CEST geschrieben:
>
> - Something mad, interesting or curious!

I built a home service for systemd. It is currently unpublished, but I could demo it, and publish the WIP version.

Not sure if there's enough interest in this to warrant a talk, systemd is not packaged for Guix (and quite possibly never will be). This would only be of interest for users of Guix Home on a foreign distro who, for some reason or another, want to use systemd units instead of shepherd / mcron.

Nils

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-04 18:30 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-06-04 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

On 2024-06-04 10:19, Steve George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking for speakers - of any level - to give talks at the Guix online meetup. We're a small, friendly group at all levels of experience. Talks can be about anything Guix associated, for example:
>
> - Experiences using or learning Guix
> - Particular commands or capabilities - deploying VM's, building a desktop etc
> - Using the declarative configuration approach
> - Packaging or creating system services
> - Something mad, interesting or curious!
>
> Whatever it is, we'd love to hear it!
>
> We've had recent talks by Ludo [0] and David Wilson (System crafters) [1]. We have an upcoming talk on June 18th by David Thompson [2] who will be talking about Guile, Guix and his work on Guile Hoot. And, on July 11th Vagrant Cascadian will be talking about reproducibility and Guix. After that ...
>
> Just to repeat - talks can be any length (10-20-45 mins), and at any level :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve / Futurile
>
> [0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339dRDf4c6E
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oINCgds-8kA
> [2] https://dthompson.us/ - register here https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024

I could talk about the bootstrapping in riscv, maybe it's too technical
or idk...

If you want, I'm open to do it!

Thanks for organizing these talks, they are very interesting.

Cheers,
Ekaitz

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-06-05 19:38 ` Artyom V. Poptsov
From: Artyom V. Poptsov @ 2024-06-05 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hello!

I can give an online talk about Guile-SSH[1] as it is used by GNU Guix,
if you're interested.

Although I have never done any talks in English, I think it'll be an
interesting experience.

--
Artyom "avp" Poptsov <poptsov.artyom@gmail.com>
Home page: https://memory-heap.org/~avp/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-06-06 15:14 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-06-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Steve,

Steve George <steve@futurile.net> skribis:

> We're looking for speakers - of any level - to give talks at the Guix online meetup. We're a small, friendly group at all levels of experience. Talks can be about anything Guix associated, for example:

That’s a great initiative!  It would probably make sense to advertise it
on guix.gnu.org, perhaps starting with a blog post, and then maybe
adding videos to the “Media” section?

Thanks for organizing this!

Ludo’.

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-07 13:54   ` Richard Sent
From: Richard Sent @ 2024-06-07 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> writes:

> I could talk about the bootstrapping in riscv, maybe it's too
> technical or idk...
>
> If you want, I'm open to do it!
>
> Thanks for organizing these talks, they are very interesting.

I'd /definitely/ find that talk interesting! Hope it happens and I can
make it.

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-07 20:37   ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2024-06-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Landt, Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

June 4, 2024 at 7:05 AM, "Nils Landt" <nils@landt.email> wrote:

> > Steve George <steve@futurile.net> hat am 04.06.2024 10:19 CEST geschrieben:
> >
> >  - Something mad, interesting or curious!
> >

> I built a home service for systemd. It is currently unpublished, but I could demo it, and publish the WIP version.
>
> Not sure if there's enough interest in this to warrant a talk, systemd is not packaged for Guix (and quite possibly never will be). This would only be of interest for users of Guix Home on a foreign distro who, for some reason or another, want to use systemd units instead of shepherd / mcron.
>
> Nils

Yes Please!  This sounds like an awesome idea!  Guix home is something
I have not really figured out yet....

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-09 11:15   ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2024-06-09 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Divya; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jun 9, 2024 at 5:56 AM Divya <divya@subvertising.org> wrote:

> I couldn't really find any registration process on https://dthompson.us

That's my personal website. It's not affiliated with Guix Social.

See https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/PatchReviewSessions2024
for the links to register for the Guix Social meetups.

- Dave

* Re: Come speak at the Guix Social meetup
@ 2024-06-10  1:21   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2024-06-10  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Landt; +Cc: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 01:05:39PM +0200, Nils Landt wrote:
> I built a home service for systemd. It is currently unpublished, but I could demo it, and publish the WIP version.
>
> Not sure if there's enough interest in this to warrant a talk, systemd is not packaged for Guix (and quite possibly never will be). This would only be of interest for users of Guix Home on a foreign distro who, for some reason or another, want to use systemd units instead of shepherd / mcron.

I'm interested!