On 2024-03-18 12:08:48 +0000, Daniel Littlewood wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I think the discussion so far splits into "should something be done" > and "what can be done". The "should something be done" is easier to > address, I think, so I'll deal with it first. I particularly have > Attila's reply in mind. > > > let's put aside the trans aspect of this question for a moment, > > is it reasonable for me to demand from somebody else to change their memory of my past actions? > > if so, then where is the line? what's the principle here? and what are its implications? > > i sure see some actors out there who can hardly wait to start erasing certain records at the barrel of the law > > I do not doubt that there are bad actors who might misuse the ability > to rewrite history generally. However, this only allows us to dismiss > the technical challenge if there is *no* legitimate use case for > rewriting history, ever, in any circumstance. So rather than removing > the trans aspect of the question to consider every possible use case > (good or bad) of rewriting history, it seems like we only need to come > up with a single case that's sufficient to justify altering someone's > identity, for it to be worth considering if the technical restriction > could be avoided. But then the answer is obvious: Someone might just > sign their commits wrong for whatever reason. Is it valuable for a > user or for guix generally to preserve metadata in the case where a > commit is signed incorrectly? Obviously not. So whether you are > sympathetic to the deadnaming issue or not (personally I am) it seems > like we can dismiss the question "should we do something about it". I do not think the situation is as black and white as you put it here. I believe the question of "should something be done" needs to be further split into two sub-branches. "should something be doable effective from some point in time" and "should something be doable retro-actively". For the former, I think most people here would agree that yes, and there already is a mechanism for that (.mailmap). For the latter, I do not think you can just "dismiss" it. While I agree with you there is a little value in the act of Guix preserving wrong metadata by itself, any history-modifying operation would have quiet large impact on the ecosystem, so that needs to be taken into account as well. And it that light I would say yes, preserving wrong metadata (when viewed from this angle) does have a value. And I say this as a contributor perfectly matching your example of "signed their commits wrong", which is why you will find me in the .mailmap. Have a nice day, Tomas Volf -- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.