On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 04:10:14PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Guix! > > Several of us have been fiddling with the ‘core-updates’ branch for a > while. I think there’s now consensus that the branch is really > dedicated to core packages and (guix build …) modules, as embodied in > the new ‘core-packages’ team¹. > > We’ve updated GCC 11.x, glibc, binutils, and various packages from (gnu > packages base). Notable exceptions are Coreutils, Findutils, sed, and > tar; I tried but that’s a bit more work, notably because their variants > in commencement.scm would no longer build because their build scripts > use sed patterns not supported by Gash-Utils. > > Long story short: I’d like us to freeze and merge the branch ASAP, > notably because the glibc graft on ‘master’ leads to a bad user > experience. I’m happy with the current state of the branch and wouldn’t > mind postponing remaining upgrades for the next cycle. > > Thoughts? > > Remaining work includes: checking that cross-compilation targets still > work after the recent Binutils updates, checking i586-gnu (GNU/Hurd) and > other platforms, and possibly addressing the Gawk non-determinism > issue². > > Currently package subsets are built here: > > https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/core-updates > https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr/jobset/guix-core-updates > > I don’t think I can commit to coordinating the stabilization effort > though as I’m busy with other things this month. Would anyone like to > take the lead on this? > > Happy updating! > > Ludo’. > > ¹ https://issues.guix.gnu.org/67880 > ² https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68378 There's a patch floating around somewhere to adjust the page size on jemalloc on aarch64 to be at least 64k so that people running guix software on apple silicon don't have issues. I think we should add it for core-updates so it doesn't get forgotten, I've seen it come up on IRC at least once a week. -- Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted