On 2023-09-02 21:08:12 +0200, Csepp wrote: > > paul writes: > > > Hello Giovanni, > > > > I get that you really don't find the web based workflow to bring enough advantages to justify the migration, but first please consider the picture that > > Katherine sent and that we are evaluating the adequateness of the email medium as a FOSS contribution management tool over email. > > > > If we lower the bar for contributions more people are gonna be invested in Guix and will have interest in becoming committer and reviewer. My > > impression today is not that there aren't enough resources to cover reviews, the bottleneck is the total time that committers are able to dedicate to > > reviewing (potentially re-reviewing if some other non-committer contributor has already done a first review) and actually commiting changes. > > > > I have many contributions opened more than a year ago where (sometimes also because of me obviously, we're all working after work here) the > > interactions on the issue are separated by many weeks, sometimes even months. > > > > To ease that bottleneck we just need to give more time to committers or to increase the number of committers. All the automation and process changes > > we evaluate should be focused on either one of this two goals. I don't have evidence that any web forge will help (maybe someone has?), but I wouldn't > > throw it out of the window just because it does not ease the current review process. > > > > cheers > > > > giacomo > > To second this, I'd like to note for the record that on fedi at least > 1-2 people told me that they chose Nix over Guix because they don't want > to deal with the email based workflow. At least one of these people is > a highly skilled programmer with decades of experience. Since we are collecting anecdotal data here, I pretty much stopped contributing to Alpine after they stopped using the mailing list. The friction (for me) increased a lot compared to just calling git send-email. From my circle of acquaintances, all people who picked Nix did it because they did not like Guix' purism regarding software freedom and wanted something that "gets the job done". I am skeptical regarding people picking based on web vs. email flows, there are more important differences. > > While I mostly argued for Sourcehut, I think the pull-based alternatives > should also be kept in mind. > -- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.